Options for a new 15" Macbook with 1.5tb+ Storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foem, Oct 31, 2015.

1. foem macrumors newbie

My early 2011 Macbook Pro has 1.5TB (1TB HD and 512GB SSD). I do a lot on my mac... heavy photoshop use with huge files, huge multitrack audio files as well, and a huge iTunes library.

I'd like to get a new 15" Macbook with the capability of at least that much storage.

What are my best options?

Should I wait for the upcoming MacBooks? I'm worried that they will max out at 1TB, or the SSD will not be user replaceable...

2. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Your best options are either 512GB + 1TB+ external drive or 1TB + 500GB+ external drive but this depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Next release of rMBP probably will have 1.5TB+ SSD but not for a while, Apple only updated the 15" couple of months ago I think.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

See my sig, 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD, I ditched the optical drive and put the SSD in the optical bay with an adapter. And thats on a 13"

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It won't happen they will top out at 1TB, and that is expensive as it is. You'll either have to use a different computer or manage your files somehow. The SSD's are already non user replaceable, you can do it but no one sells the parts and they have apples own proprietry connector.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Your fastest solution would be to get the internal 1TB SSD because Apple's latest SSDs are insanely fast as they have been given 4 PCI lanes to swamp. Then throw a Samsung EVO 950 512GB SSD into either a Thunderbolt or USB3 external case. You'll get ungodly speeds on the internal SSD and "slow down" to a few hundred MBytes/second on the external 950 SSD.

Most other options will be cheaper than this though.