Options for adding USB 3.0 ports to 2011 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Abazigal, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Hi all,

I am currently using a 2011 27" iMac. It still serves me well, and I see myself hanging on to it for many more years to come.

I would like to add some USB 3.0 ports to it for faster data transfers and am wondering what my options are? I tried looking online but can't seem to find any thunderbolt to USB 3.0 hubs. I don't really need more ports, but I would like faster ones. You would think there is a market for them, but I can't any anywhere. I know thunderbolt hubs exist, but they are too expensive and overkill for my needs (I am using the elgato hub at work).

Anyone have any decent ones to recommend? Thanks in advance. :)

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well there you go. The only answer is Thunderbolt hub.

3. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I second the Kanex adapters I've been using one with my 2011 Macbook Pro for about six months and love it. they aren't horribly expensive and they are rock solid in terms of reliability.

4. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

I have kanex adapter as well. I run 3 usb3 hard drives off of it using a usb3 hub and it works great. The only disadvantage is that they are not thunderbolt passthru. But mine has been reliable as well.

5. mhafeez macrumors regular

mhafeez

I use the Startech Thunderbolt Station, works like a champ.

6. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

Adaptor. The key search term was adaptor. Figures - I was searching for thunderbolt to usb hub. :p

A bit pricey. At that price, you would think they could include a 4 port hub while they are at it. Still, it's precisely what I wanted. Thanks. :)

7. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

im just looking at it in wonder, and i think the price is pretty good. its the only thing about my 2011 imac that really annoys me....well.......cant use the ipad continuity...wont run metal..... but its the only fixable thing and ive looked at those hubs same as you. now im thinking 100 euro, well 120 with shipping, well worth it imho.

If i get one of these, is there a) any option to move my bootcamp partition onto an external drive and b) will the speed be comaparable with the internal drive? sorry to hijack the thread with a different question, maybe i should post it separately.

8. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

Continuity does work (that's the ability to take / make calls and SMS on your other Apple devices. You might be thinking of handoff and airdrop, since the 2011 iMac lacks bluetooth 4.0. Shame about lacking Metal support too (just read that in iMore).

I am okay with you asking your own questions here (I can't guarantee you will get an answer though). And I regret I don't know enough to answer your question.