Options for Buying New/USED MBP-cost involved.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rvrugg90, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rvrugg90 macrumors member

Heres the deal. I know that the new macbook pros are coming....lol.... I have been waiting out since FEB this year. Then I had hoped June. Then July. Now its moving even from August to September or LATER! This is really frustrating for people like me who hate to buy "it" and then have it updated soon after. So now i have a couple of options before I Must have it on the 19th of August. I'm into creating movies, editing photos, and running very intensive apps, so yes, I would like the "latest and greatest for my money".

Option 1:I could buy a new 2.5ghz MBP, with the 200GB 7200 HD and Glossy Screen and Front Row Remote for 2363.00 with my student discount from apple store. Now i also get the Free Ipod Touch 8GB as well.(might sell this?)

Second option:buy a used but newish model of the same configuration on ebay. ....except the glossy option is sometimes hard to find on ebay so far....

Third Option:-buy refurbished from apple store

Fourth Option:buy a new HP DV5T...completely decked out with the 2.8ghz montevina, 64-bit windows, 9600gt Graphics, 250gb 5400rmp HD, 2 gigs of ram, and 1680 screen for 1749 with student discount and 5% discount.

Now any system I choose, I would most likely put the additional 2gb ram in myself as it makes way more sense to get 4GB TOTAL. However, I really want to try out OSX. I am a windows user with a gateway P4 2.6 ghz and 1.5 gigs of ram on XP. computer is from 2002. It seems either way I really want a MBP! I don't know how the resale value is on the Macs VS Pc's...

resale value on option 1 vs option 2 vs option 3 vs option 4 until the new redesigned versions come out. Either way, this is complex. I work hard for my money as many do, and just need help choosing the best option. I would really appreciate help! Very Sincerely,
    Bob

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Resell value obviously won't be as high in an older model. I would recommend getting a current generation refurbished machine; please note you cannot BTO a 7200RPM drive for refurbished computers and you won't get a student discount and iPod. So your best bet is to buy a current 2.5/200(7200), get the iPod and be happy with what you got.

I mean the HP would be the best deal, but then it's not a Mac; if you want to buy a Mac don't consider the HP.

If their is a redesign, you may or may not get a good price for your machine.

If you need computer now, then buy it.

3. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! That was the option I was leaning towards. I can sell the Ipod Touch and It would come out 2100ish. Still not sure though. However, say the new models come out in September, what could i expect to loose in value if its kept in perfect condition? How would a buyer know the difference between me buying a used but practically new of the same configuration vs me buying a new one? It would be used either way.

Would that HP decrease less in value because of its vastly superior specs relative to the time? It would be especially good if apple lowered the prices...even a little bit.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Get a refurb from Apple. I've had both a refub G4 Mac Mini and now a MacBook Pro and I really can't say anything negative about either experience. Unless you're tied to the fancy black box, there really isn't much difference between new and refurbished. I had a brand new original MBP and sold it to buy a refurbished Core 2 MBP and I am so happy I did. Its cosmetically flawless, is covered the same under Applecare, and has the same specs as a brand new Mac for a lot less money.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you must know that since everyone is thinking this way, you might not get as much from the iPod touch as you would like.

4 year old Powerbooks can still fetch good prices, so yes keep the computer in good condition and you'll be able to get a good deal back.

I guess you could buy one used, but I don't trust used electronics.

Apple computers have an amazing way of retaining value; the same cannot be said for HPs.

No chance of that!

But with a refurb the OP can't get a printer or an iPod.

6. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

So it seems like I could probably break even by getting my MBP new from the apple store online with the student discount. Then reselling it as a month old computer. I'm figuring the updates would be in sept. so I'm tired of waiting. Amazon does have a nice price as well though.

7. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

The waiting game is exactly that– a game. You can win if you time it right, but good god, you've been waiting out nearly 6 months. Buying an HP is like buying a new Honda- as soon as you drive it off the lot, you just lost 20% of it's resale value. Consider Apple more like a BMW. Sure, it costs more to buy, but the value of it is slowly decreasing. I bought my Macbook Pro two weeks after they came out (that makes it three years old) and I've seen similarly spec'd models on ebay for ~$1100. I only paid $2000 brand new. Get it, love it, stop waiting.

8. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

That was my thought. Honestly, I want to make the switch to OSX! Even though Im pretty sure a spec'd HP like I customized would be faster, better for gaming, and have a higher res display...It would lose its value when i decided to sell. The question is though...Those specs will be more future proof than this 2.5 mbp...making me think that I buy it for 1750 with student discounts/5% off coupon...and sell in a month? Honestly do you guys think I would lose more that way or buying a 2.5 MPB with specs above and selling when the new ones are out? If I loose less when selling for new version with the MBP, I will buy today.

9. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I understand: I waited for 6mo for Leopard to appear. I finally gave up and bought my system June '07. Three months later, the Airport Extreme I had just bought was revised, Leopard was released and iLife 08 finally came out. If I had waited 9 months instead of 6, I'd have got everything, spent $200 less and had a better Airport Extreme.

But I have no regrets, because I'd waited long enough and I had my MacBook Pro to enjoy, learn, and get used to for those three months.

So: you gotta buy on your own schedule. But if you had simply bought in February, you'd have enjoyed your MBP for 6 months now and wouldn't have seen a new version for 6+ months after purchase, which is all you can really expect with computers.

Be shrewd, but don't be paralyzed by "coming soon" fear. The best time to buy a computer is always tomorrow, so get what you need when you need it.

10. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Plan has changed. I didnt know i would get charged TAX on my order...A 2.5ghz MBP 200GB 7200 HD, Glossy Screen everything else same 2.5 stock config. Then I got the 299 8GB touch and a $99 Hp printer...so Rebates for both of those accessories...the total comes to $2,928.10....the tax im getting charged for practically erases the student discount!!!!!! friggn heck. Not buying this if its that much. I guess I'll wait till free tax weekend aug 1. Gosh this is so friggn frustrating. I could almost have my laptop next week if it wasnt for tax by the time i order this thing.

11. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

12. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

"Individual education sales are tax-exempt." I guess im fine. Wow that was scary.

13. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Just a personal thing, and I'm sure some will argue, but really my favorite thing offered on the MBP thats not the basic MB, other than dedicated graphics, is the option of a matte screen. Truer colors, ease of use outdoors... It was an easy sell for me. Do as you like, but I wanted to throw that out there, and I hope this doesn't slow down your buying process any more than it already has been!

14. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I saw the matte at best buy...I didnt mind it, but I do think glossy screens look better. Not as accurate for sure, but better (to me).

-I'm most likely ordering this thing friday the 1st. I'll pray apple doesnt put out an update on that tuesday as mine is getting shipped lol...but i am convinced I can probably make a profit or break even selling it used. (approx $2350 MBP Student Discount + free ipod touch + free printer (-) sell ipod touch and printer for approx $325)= a little over 2 grand. Now, say I keep this a month or even 2 max.... I know i can get at least 2 grand on a like new MBP. Then, I put up the extra couple hundred for the new version if I like it and Im set....OR I get "stuck" with an awesome laptop with plenty of power for years to come!

15. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

you will be very hard pressed to find anyone who will shell out $2000 for a mbp right after they are upgraded. you also will have trouble selling an iPod and printer for $325. perhaps you should set your sights a little lower...

16. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your incite. I just checked on ebay. Most Ipod Touch 8GB are going from 245-275 used but new condition or new. So I would sell mine without even messing with it. Now, the printer I plan on getting...cant remember the model number. It's an HP on Apple store for 99.00. Plan on getting half or a little more for that brand new untouched. So i figure that's anywhere from 290-330.

Now you mentioned nobody will buy my MBP for 2 grand? I certainly hope that isn't the case. I see santa rosa 2.4ghz with 200gb hd,2 gb ram, older 256 nvidia card going for 17-1800 on ebay. Which makes me figure that they hold value pretty well considering that's a "last" generation model. I figure with a perfectly kept, including all manuals, boxes,etc 1-2 month old MBP would go for more than that with 2.5ghz 200gb 7200 rpm, 4 gigs of ram. I am new to the mac world though. I do not pretend to know anything...it just seems like this from what I have watched mostly on ebay. Honestly though, If I have figured this up wrong, I would def. want someone to speak up if I'm headed down the wrong road here (haha, its wayyyy to big of a purchase to have it screwed up and ruin a ton of money).