Options for live off-the grid

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mamcx, May 16, 2009.

1. mamcx macrumors regular

I have a small house in my city. I wonder how practical can be for me live off-the grid (partial or complety).

I'm on Medellin, Colombia. I have 3 computers, 2 TV, 1 Frezer, 7 bulbs, 1 Stereo. (I'm looking to collapse the units to 3 computers, not TV, no Stereo).

I have a VERY cheap municipal gas supply. So I wonder how practical could be have a Gas Powered Generator for my house (however, exist someting for 120 V and near-silent? My house is small & have 4 others houses attached to it).

The other is a solar panel. However I'm not user how feasible could be. (A solar panel can survive a strong rain? and with hail?)

Municipal water is cheap, and the high quality on my country. So that is not concern me.

2. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Hi there,

I can't speak to specific Colombian regulations, but a little on the concept.

Reduction of electricity draw is the #1 savings in any off grid move.

You're going to pay serious money to have a decent battery system hooked up, so if you have a lower draw, you can buy less equipment.

Do you need 3 computers? Are they at least notebooks? CRT monitors have high electricity needs, large LCDs do as well.

You're on the right track by selling/donating your TVs and stereo. Next step, look at your freezer. If it's not very efficient, it will make things more expensive.

Work out how much electricity you use now. Then look at a generator, and consider just how much fuel you'd need to run it. I would consider a small generator as your last resort. Investigate a solar panel, and the corresponding batteries you'd use when the sun is down.

Small configurations like yours can be very expensive. So it might not be feasible. But like I said above, the less power you draw, the easier it will be for you to accomplish.

3. JCastro macrumors 6502a

That is nice, but I was thinking more along the lines of about 100 or 200 of these. The second pic is a future prototype and will also work well too. :D

Attached Files: