Options for my iPhone 3G after upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macuser1997, Jun 3, 2010.

1. macuser1997 macrumors member

I'm planning on getting the new iPhone when it comes out. I have an iPhone 3G that probably isn't worth very much money (some scratches).

If I give it to a friend who is already on AT&T, can they just pop in their SIM card and get a data plan from AT&T?

If I unlock the phone, can they use it with other carriers (do their data plans work with iPhones?).

TIA

2. CJayC macrumors 6502

I'm planning on getting the new iPhone when it comes out. I have an iPhone 3G that probably isn't worth very much money (some scratches).

If I give it to a friend who is already on AT&T, can they just pop in their SIM card and get a data plan from AT&T?

Your friend would need to get the 3G sim card first.

If I unlock the phone, can they use it with other carriers (do their data plans work with iPhones?).

Yes. T-Mobile's Edge works great with the iPhone with no flaws except the 2.75G abysmal speeds.) Just tell the representative that you want a data plan and that you have the "Shadow" phone.

3. azsprty macrumors 6502

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Believe it or not, the 3G is still worth a good bit of money right now since the new device hasn't been released yet.

5. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Yep. Do a quick search on craigslist for "iphone wanted" people are still paying $200+ for an 8gb iPhone 3g.

There is a premium because people want an iPhone, but they dont want to be on a 2 year contract with AT&T, so they will pay a pretty decent price off-contract iPhone.

So sell it this weekend before they drop in price again since there will be a new model out on monday.

6. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

7. jersey10 macrumors regular

I too will be upgrading. Could my old 3G be used essentially as an iPod Touch after I get my new phone - use it for everything except phone calls? What would I need to do? Would the internet still work on wifi, like a Touch?

8. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

It should. Not sure about the steps you'd have to take though.