Options for streaming media.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Orwell1984, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Orwell1984 macrumors newbie

I posted something in the help forum awhile ago and nobody cared, and I'm a busy man with lots of busy important things of super importance to do, so I'm gonna generalize it:

What are all the available options for streaming audio/video to the iPhone? I only know of TVersity as a viable option for Windows, and it sucks for music because it can't stream a whole album (you have to hit play on each new track before it begins streaming).

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

3. Orwell1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Like iphone remote? i dont think i understand what you want, or if i do, i have no idea how you would be able to.

5. Orwell1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

Streaming media (namely mp3/mp4 files) on my PC to the iPhone (for playback on the iPhone) via wifi. TVersity is an application that does this, but it's clunky and flawed.

6. atarin macrumors regular

Try iPhone Remote. It works great! Just follow their suggestions for using apple scripts via email to open and close the program only when you need it so you don't leave the ports open to hackers. It's very simple. I use it, and I love it! It works over WiFi on the iPhone; Edge, too (although can be slow), and you can even use it on other computers because it's a web app. Really, try it! Best of all, it's free! :D

Edit: Oh, yeah. One piece of advice: if you don't have a static IP address, always check what yours is today before you leave. You can do that in the program. You need the IP address or you can't get the web page.

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I use iphone remote all the time and i love it. Its great to use as a front row controller too. Its amazing to use over EDGE (even though it can be slow) its just so awesome that you can be anywhere and look at your computer, and see through a webcam attatched to your camera at anytime.

8. Orwell1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

That looks like pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Too bad it's OSX-only, since I'm on Vista.

They working on a Windows port?

Edit: Whoops, looks like there's still no way to stream albums/playlists.

9. spinstorm macrumors 65816

TVersity does all that streaming stuff and its free. And for Windows!

Do a search on Google!

10. liberty4all Guest

liberty4all

Does it also allow you to listen to the audio from the webcam as well?

TIA

11. liberty4all Guest

liberty4all

Yes, it SUCKS that iPhone cannot natively handle .m3u (MP3 streaming) -- anyone know of a solution?

Where is VLC for the iPhone when ya need it... ;-)