Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I did some reasonably careful measuring and it looks like a 4" screen is not an option for the iPhone 4/5 if they keep the same housing. 4" just won't fit and there would be no edge for light blocking.

The most they could fit in (keeping the same aspect ratio) is 3.7" and that would hardly be worth the bother. They could go to a 16:9 ratio (using the same width as the 3.7" screen) and give us 4". That wouldn't be too bad, but apps that rely on the old ratio would have black bars. Anyway, pic below...

What do you think Apple is going to do?

Attachments

• iPhone screen options.png
    iPhone screen options.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 184

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
There was a thread on this like yesterday that did the exact same thing you did. I dont think a 3.7 screen would be a waste though. any bigger screen is better, no more than 4" though.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
I don't see them changing the design. It was a pain in the ass waiting for all the retina updates on the apps, do you think developers are going to want to re-do their apps again?

Hell, some developers still don't even use full retina display which is sad.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I don't see them changing the design. It was a pain in the ass waiting for all the retina updates on the apps, do you think developers are going to want to re-do their apps again?

Hell, some developers still don't even use full retina display which is sad.
I agree. Apple will not do anything (just a year later) that will make app designers rework their apps. Whatever they do (if anything) will scale apps without any need for rework.

Still, very doubtful anything will change tho...

There was a thread on this like yesterday that did the exact same thing you did. I dont think a 3.7 screen would be a waste though. any bigger screen is better, no more than 4" though.
Sorry for the redundancy. Just thought people might be interested in seeing the possible screen options.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.