Options for tv on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JesseW6889, Jul 9, 2011.

1. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

I am looking for a way to watch tv on my iPad at home.

The cable service I use is encoded, so I was thinking about using a slingbox solo.

Will that work for what I am trying to do? Are there any other options? Thanks!

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I use a SlingBox HD Pro on my iPad2 and it works flawlessly...I had to upgrade my SlingBox (I had a SlingBox AV which worked nicely with my iPhone4 but was "incompatible" with the iPad SlingPlayer), then pay for another version of the SlingPlayer (already paid $30.00 for the iPhone version) which really annoyed me but once i saw how beautifully it worked I couldn't be angry even though I wanted to be...:D
    FYI, the PQ on the SlingBox is very dependent on your home upload speed. Just keep that in mind...

3. JesseW6889 thread starter macrumors 6502

That sounds exactly like what I am looking to do! Can I ask how you have your system set up... i.e. cable > cable box > sling box ?

4. Ronnoco, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have my SlingBox HD Pro connected to my Cox DVR. I can watch/control both live tv and my recorded programs...the one bummer is that you cannot use HDMI which kinda bugged at first because I loathe using all those cables for the component and audio connections (another words, you cannot simultaneously use the HDMI connection to your tv from the DVR while having the SlingBox connected to the DVR via component which is its only HD connection choice...the SlingBox does have optical out if you care to use it instead of RCA), but once it was connected between my 40" Sony NX710 and the Cox DVR, it looked flawless...
    the iPad SlingPlayer is a little more complicated than the iPhone version IMO and has A LOT of available controls, but once you get the hang of it, it is really quite a brilliant little player...(the swipe to change channels is a bit of a PITA IMO as it is very sensitive and i have accidentally changed channels a few times simply by touching the iPad screen ever so slightly...I've done this on the iPhone as well and IIRC, this feature can be disabled) but other than that, it is a joy to use...

5. JesseW6889 thread starter macrumors 6502

So, what does the slingbox do exactly? Just let you watch whatever is being streamed to it? I guess I don't understand how you could control your recorded shows, or is that a brand specific cable box function?

6. Ronnoco, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Anything you can do on your DVR (watch live, record, watch one show while recording another, watch a recorded program while recording one or two live programs, pause, play, rewind/ff, change channel, program, manage season series record options, change system settings, delete, etc.), you can control remotely via SlingBox...