Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yukon0013

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
Hi I have a brand new macbook and a imac g5 .. for school i am having to do a video in french and i will need to edit it, and seeing as iDVD is not working at all on my macbook i was wondering if there would be anyway that i could edit my video on our imac and then burn it through the macbook..

ps. the imac only has a combo drive.. no superdrive.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
iDVD has options "Save as Disc Image..." and "Save as VIDEO_TS folder". Either of these could be used to save the finished project, which could then be piped over to the MacBook over the home network and burned from there.

Alternatively, if you have Toast 8, there is a sharing option (not enabled by default) that will allow your iMac to see your MacBook's SuperDrive over the network and burn to it from the iMac.

Option 1 is more likely to produce successful results.

yukon0013

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
Hi if anyone sees this as the person that responded to this post said.. once i am done i can send it over the home network to my laptop.. and i was just wondering how to do this.. thanks

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Hi if anyone sees this as the person that responded to this post said.. once i am done i can send it over the home network to my laptop.. and i was just wondering how to do this.. thanks

You have to have file sharing enabled on the receiving machine. Go to (Apple menu) > System Preferences > Sharing. Be sure that file sharing is enabled. Then, on the iMac, open a Finder window. If you're running OS X 10.5 (Leopard), you should see your MacBook in the "Shared" section. If you're running an earlier version of OS X, you will want to click on the "Network" icon in the Finder sidebar. In either case, you'll have to authenticate with your user name and password. Once you've done that, you'll have access to your home folder on the MacBook, from within Finder on your iMac. You can treat that Finder window just like any other, so just drag the disk image you created on the iMac over to the directory on the MacBook. (It will copy rather than move, since it's two different physical drives.) Once that's done, go burn on the MacBook.

P.S. - If you have trouble with the above but you have a flash drive or portable external hard drive that you can plug into the USB port, you could always just copy it onto that (assuming the drive has enough capacity) and then open it on the MacBook. This would actually take less time than transferring the file over the home network.

P.P.S. - Merde pour le film. (C'est ce qu'on disait au lieu de "bonne chance" pour les examens en France quand j'y ai fait mes etudes.) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.