Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m just wondering if any of you have solutions for photos other than the cloud. That’s been the only difficulty I’ve had since getting rid of my Mac. I just want an efficient way to keep up with and store photos.

Right now, I try to go through my pics monthly, and upload the keepers to Shutterfly. I figure if they’re worth keeping, they need to be somewhere where I can do something with them.

I’m just curious what others do.

The reason I’m not a huge fan of photos in the cloud is I’m always dealing with limited service where I live. It takes forever for me to access things in the cloud a lot of the time, and I’m not one of those people who wants 7500 pictures on their phone.

I’m sure there are options out there I don’t know about, so I figured I’d ask here.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
They say you should keep important docs, photos, etc. in three places. Get your own MyCloud device or even a thumb drive. I keep my photos on Photomyne, MyCloud and and also will be copying to a SanDisk thumb drive.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
They say you should keep important docs, photos, etc. in three places. Get your own MyCloud device or even a thumb drive. I keep my photos on Photomyne, MyCloud and and also will be copying to a SanDisk thumb drive.

How do you copy to a thumb drive from an iPad? I’m sure I’m missing something.
[doublepost=1548598955][/doublepost]Also, I would LOVE to scan a bunch of paper documents and do the same type thing - that would be awesome!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
[doublepost=1548598955][/doublepost]Also, I would LOVE to scan a bunch of paper documents and do the same type thing - that would be awesome!

I use my home NAS server for that purpose. Unlimited storage and no issues with network connectivity.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I have around 100GB of Videos, My iCloud is full and I am gonna be copying it on USB Drive any free storage service which can give me that kind of data where I can store it ? What is Photomyne ?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I use a mixture of local and cloud based backup.
  • Save locally on my Mac
  • Time machine backup on an external drive
  • Automated online backup via BackBlaze
  • Upload to Google Photos

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
NAS are fairly complex to set up and maintain. There is a reason why cloud storage is so popular. It’s super easy to use.

In your case with internet issues I’d look at getting a cheap used Mac Mini, a monitor, then use photos on that. Connect your phone to your Mac and transfer photos taken that way. iTunes to back up.
[doublepost=1548605356][/doublepost]
I use a mixture of local and cloud based backup.
  • Save locally on my Mac
  • Time machine backup on an external drive
  • Automated online backup via BackBlaze
  • Upload to Google Photos

This is perfection. :). /wave to another backblaze user.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
VPNs are fairly complex to set up and maintain. There is a reason why cloud storage is so popular. It’s super easy to use.

In your case with internet issues I’d look at getting a cheap used Mac Mini, a monitor, then use photos on that. Connect your phone to your Mac and transfer photos taken that way. iTunes to back up.
[doublepost=1548605356][/doublepost]

This is perfection. :). /wave to another backblaze user.

Great advice but what doo you need the VPN for? Was it a typo and you referred to NAS?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
F248E005-FBBC-4EC7-9F86-C3223D4AE90C.jpeg
Get a thumb drive that has the lightning connector on one side and USB on the other. They have apps that allow you to move photos and docs back and forth between iPad or iPhone and thumb drive. Then you can also move to a computer. I have the SanDisk brand but there are also other brands. Easy way to just throw it in my purse so I always have everything I need at my fingertips.

Reactions: ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
View attachment 818470
Get a thumb drive that has the lightning connector on one side and USB on the other. They have apps that allow you to move photos and docs back and forth between iPad or iPhone and thumb drive. Then you can also move to a computer. I have the SanDisk brand but there are also other brands. Easy way to just throw it in my purse so I always have everything I need at my fingertips.

This would be perfect! I never really need to save anything that’s on my iPad; only my phone, so the lightning connector would work!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I’m just wondering if any of you have solutions for photos other than the cloud. That’s been the only difficulty I’ve had since getting rid of my Mac. I just want an efficient way to keep up with and store photos.

Right now, I try to go through my pics monthly, and upload the keepers to Shutterfly. I figure if they’re worth keeping, they need to be somewhere where I can do something with them.

I’m just curious what others do.

The reason I’m not a huge fan of photos in the cloud is I’m always dealing with limited service where I live. It takes forever for me to access things in the cloud a lot of the time, and I’m not one of those people who wants 7500 pictures on their phone.

I’m sure there are options out there I don’t know about, so I figured I’d ask here.
Look at lightning to usb storage. They have an app associated but you can back them up on an external thumb drive.
[doublepost=1548631529][/doublepost]
This would be perfect! I never really need to save anything that’s on my iPad; only my phone, so the lightning connector would work!
Just make a back up of your back up if you know what I mean. To be honest with you I would look into a cheapo MacBook 2010 for back up purposes. I wouldn’t want you o tease fate and lose my photos on any single back up solution or cloud storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.