Options Importing Flip Video - iphoto vs. imovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikeyman13, Oct 2, 2009.

1. mikeyman13 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any advice on whether they use iphoto or imovie to import flip video. When I shoot with my HF200 it always goes straight to imovie with an archive copy to the external HD. When using the flip, however, it always brings up iphoto for some reason as the default import option.

It there some reason I am overlooking as to why I should import the video first to iphoto and then have imovie import from iphoto?

Also, has anyone had any trouble with the playback speed/sound within imovie from flip video footage? For some reason I sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks, but have no idea why.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

I hate to bump up an old post..however I'm posing the same question. I just got a brand new gen 2 flip minoHD and I'd love to figure out the best way to import video. iMovie and iPhoto both import fine and dandy...however iPhoto dumps out a .mp4 and iMovie with the .mov. The .mov is nearly 600MB for a 5 min video. The .mp4 is about 250MB and is a higher-res.

Suggestions!? New to all this video stuff =) Not looking to do anything fancy, just want the videos to be nice and clean.

3. mindquest macrumors regular

I am bumping this one because I have the same question. I am new to MAC and use a Flip mino Hd so my videos are in mp4 format.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I think this is what is happening:

Importing to iPhoto just copies the mp4 file to iPhoto. Importing into iMovie will transcode those clips to Apple Intermediate Codec, which is an editing codec. Thus the file swelling. Now,clips stored in iPhoto will be available for use in iMovie as well. I assume, though, that once you add them to your timeline they will be converted to AIC. But, since I don't have a flip cam and don't use iPhoto for video, I can't say for sure.

Flatline: when you say higher res, do you mean actual horizontal lines of resolution, or do you mean picture quality?

5. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

Your lucky I got a notification e-mail on this thread lol, its quite old hehe.

Anyway - I long ago figured out a solid method and have stuck with it since. It took quite a bit of research to nail it down perfectly and of course trial and error for what sort of output quality I wanted.

Simply, plugin your Flip Mino HD...close out iPhoto (Dont bother importing into it..), launch iMovie and import your videos directly to it instead. I've attached a snap shot of the setting I personally use to export the best quality of video (There are TONS of variations out there, but mine works perfectly as well). I then upload to Youtube or keep simply in file format. And to be honest... I somethings even "Share" directly to YouTube with the HD setting and its quite decent. Your average person wont notice a difference between the sharing method or going through the export process (Which takes awhile depending on the length of the video, and I have a new top of the line Macbook Pro).

Any questions?

And in regards to the High-res questions, I'm not sure...was quite awhile ago. I was probably referring to 720p, I'm not sure.

Attached Files:

6. mindquest macrumors regular

Thanks for chiming in on this! I am new to MAC and iMovie, how do I get to the screen shown on your screen shot?

7. mindquest macrumors regular

flatline82,

if you get chance would love to hear back from you on this.