Options to store iTunes purchases on external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Turnpike, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Now that I use my MBPro for work, even 1TB of HD space gets used up quickly- and I have a LOT of iTunes TV/Movie purchases, many I like to keep downloaded and available (in HD) for watching when I'm on the road without wifi. Just the 7 seasons of The Good Wife in HD will use up all of a 128GB iPad Pro, so a very large capacity option is something I've wanted for a while now.

I like to watch whatever it is I watch on my MBPro, so is there an option to store the downloads on an external hard drive that I can plug in with a USB? (I'm not afraid of wires- I prefer them over wireless options that need to be charged).

Because iTunes purchases are some kind of protected file, I know some options are not options. What is the simplest way to do this? I would be happy to pay a zillion dollars for a 2TB external HD or whatever non-cheap option someone suggests, if it's easy and straightforward, where I don't have to use a lot of 3rd party short cuts and so on.

Thanks in advance!

2. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Create a new itunes library on external drive. Change to that library and download whatever you want. You can then startup with that itunes library or the library on internal disk.