1. EJBasile macrumors 65816


    Apr 20, 2004
    Hello Everyone,

    I am waiting for the PowerBook updates so that i can buy the 1.33 12" Superdrive for a much lower price (on sale/refurb). If they do not come out with updates by Tues, I am going to buy a mac, but something more affordable.

    I am considering getting the iBook, Mac Mini, or iMac G5 if there are no PowerBook Updates by Tuesday.

    This is what I’m looking at:

    1) Mac Mini G4 1.25

    512mb ram
    80GB (upgraded)
    SuperDrive (upgraded)
    Mac Wired Mouse + Keyboard

    2) Mac Mini G4 1.42
    512mb Ram
    SuperDrive (upgraded)
    Mac Wired Mouse + Keyboard

    (Is it worth the extra $55 for the .17Ghz)

    3) iMac 17” 1.8Ghz SuperDrive Refurbished

    256mb Ram +extra 256mb 3rd Party Ram ($43 from crucial)= 512mb
    Mac wired mouse + keyboard

    4) iBook G4 12” (I hate the 14”)

    256mb Ram +extra 256mb 3rd Party Ram ($48 from crucial) =512mb
    60gb (upgraded)
    Combo Drive (no super)

    I would really like the 12” PowerBook 1.33ghz (buy on sale/refurb when update happens- hopefully tues). I like the Mac mini because its cool looking and cheap but it’s one of the slowest computer in the whole apple line. I am not a huge fan of the iMac G5 but I would live with it. I don’t really love the iBook because of its plastic material, speed, no superdrive on the 12” and how you can’t span the screens. The Mini and iBook do not support fully support the Core Image feature in Tiger which looks very interesting.

  2. sjpetry macrumors 65816


    Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
  3. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816


    Apr 20, 2004
    I don't really need a lot of portability but it would be nice. But out of the desktops, what do you think. Is it worth $600 more for the iMac than the mac mini.
  4. sjpetry macrumors 65816


    Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    What kind of work are you going to be doing?
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030


    Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Also, do you need a monitor, or do you already have a decent display?
  6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040


    Nov 5, 2002
    I woudln't expect a "much lower" price on the old powerbooks if and when new ones come out ... you might say $100 or so but your not gonna be running out like a bandit FYI. Have portability is nice, even if that means just lounging with your PB.
  7. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816


    Apr 20, 2004
    If i got the mini i would buy a 17" Dell UltraSharp LCD (i know :) Dell)

    I would do word processing, internet, iMovie, FCE, iTunes, etc
  8. sjpetry macrumors 65816


    Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    Mini should be good for you, or an iBook, or an iMac.

    Mini I think.

    Sorry I guess I didn't help too much. :cool:
  9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601


    Feb 10, 2004
    Well, when you add in a Dell ultrasharp 17" to the mini configurations (the 1.42 is probably worth the $50 btw), you come up to $1100 or so. At that point you are about $200 under the iMac, so it becomes worth considering...

    is $200 worth:

    1. a significantly faster CPU with a much faster FSB?
    2. double the vram?
    3. a better (but not great) GPU, that will support the advanced features of core image?
    4. a much faster HD?
    5. an extra firewire port?

    That's basically what you are getting with the iMac. I can't say that I have used the Dell Ultrasharp LCDs before. I've used their standard 15" and 17" LCDs and they are pretty decent, but i feel like that the 17" iMac's is better... so I am guessing that the Ultrasharp models are at least as good or better than the iMacs display.

    For what you are doing the mini is probably perfectly capable, but if you want to do any gaming you may want to consider the iMac for the better video subsystem (it's not a great gaming system, but it will do despite what many will tell you).

    Also, something to think about is that you sound liek you want to get a new machine right away, and if you opt for mini that might not happen. The Apple Store (online) has a 3-4 week wait time for all mini's, and you won't be able to get the BTO options in a retail store.

    The iMac, on the other hand, even the refurbs, have a same day shipping or 1-2 day backorder right now.

    It's a very tough call... If you do end up getting a Dell Ultrasharp 17" be sure to go in thru Dell's Small Business Store... they're $275 there vs. $296 in the Home store.

  10. lfielder06 Guest

    Dec 5, 2004
    I was in the same boat as you only the mini was not out yet. I chose to go with the ibook. It is so light I take it with me almost everywhere. This is my first laptop and first mac, but I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. Just a question why you are wanting the superdrive in the powerbook due to only 4x burning and no Dual layer support. It is cheaper and you can get a faster burner to just get an external drive. I got one for my ibook and use the software hack to use idvd. Just a thought if you don't plan on burning dvds on the go. If you like the powerbook case better though, you could look into just getting the 1.33ghz with combo drive and maybe save a little money.
  11. freiheit macrumors 6502a

    Jul 20, 2004
    Many many options

    If you've already got a monitor you can use with the Mac mini, then it's probably the best price/performer of the lot. If you'd be buying a new display, then the iMac starts to look a lot more promising since the price will start to become equal but the iMac G5 has so much more going for it (as previously noted).


    The one thing that kept me from buying an iMac is the fact that if either the display or the system goes bad, you lose both. There's no way to replace the display of an iMac without sending it to an Apple tech. And if the system components of the iMac go bad, I don't believe you could possible hook it up to another system to use as a monitor only. iMacs integration is both its appeal and its drawback. But as already noted, compared to the Mac mini the iMac G5 has a lot more updated and expandable features.

    Personally, I bought a used dual G4 PowerMac off of Ebay. It came with 2 years remaining of AppleCare warranty so I felt a little better about buying a used model. It's got 2 CPUs at 1.25GHz with much better memory and drive expansion than the Mac mini, so I'm not the slightest bit tempted to downgrade to a mini other than for desk space reasons. And with the iMac G5 and now the Mac mini on sale, you can probably get a dual G4 PowerMac for a LOT less than I paid for mine last summer. So if your main motivator is the price rather than the small size, you might want to look into that option.

Share This Page