Oracle 10 Client Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by garybUK, Sep 8, 2007.

1. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Hi all,

Thought i'd post here see if anyone knows a solution:

I have Oralce 10 Client with SQLPlus* installed on my Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 15" with 250gb hdd and 4gb Ram

I have a Sun Fire 15000 32 processor server with 16gb Ram attached to our SAN

Now problem is, i'm running a query and spooling around 60million records to a flat file on the local machine, the query takes about 2 hours to run and on my Windows NT 4.0 P4 machine it takes approx 7 - 8 hours to spool out the file, however on my Macbook it takes approx 2 - 3 days to finish!!!!!!!

I have all my code optimised with Parallel streams and using full hashes on joins

Has any one else had any problems with SQL PLus on mac's or do you know of any other tools ??

It's definately not the server as no one else is using it, it's been given as a dev environment and only i have an account on the box.

Unfortunately the people who are demanding the data don't realise even when i try to explain how large some of this stuff is, they want it NOW! :p

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It is a combination of not having a universal binary that works natively with Intel Macs and poor Oracle support to continue to improve their products on the Mac.

You can also speed up the export if you break up the export into multiple selections to separate files at the same time instead of exporting into a single file. Query your data for a balanced distribution key and then you can always combine the resulting spooled files into a single file in UNIX if necessary. For example, all sales from 2001 in one query, 2002 in another, etc.

Instead of 2 hours on the server, you can bring the time down to about 10 minutes.