Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Oracle this week warned that the macOS 14.4 update released earlier this month for Macs can cause Java processes to "terminate unexpectedly."

macos-sonoma-feature-purple-green.jpg

In a blog post on Friday, Oracle's Senior Director of Product Management Aurelio Garcia-Ribeyro recommended that Apple silicon Mac users who rely on Java avoid updating to macOS 14.4 until the issue is resolved by Apple:
An issue introduced by macOS 14.4, which causes Java process[es] to terminate unexpectedly, is affecting all Java versions from Java 8 to the early access builds of JDK 22. There is no workaround available, and since there is no easy way to revert a macOS update, affected users might be unable to return to a stable configuration unless they have a complete backup of their systems prior to the OS update.
The blog post and bug report include more technical details about the issue.

Oracle says it has notified Apple about the issue. Apple did not immediately respond to our request for comment about the matter.

Update: macOS 14.4 also has compatibility issues with audio plugins protected by PACE/iLok.

Article Link: Oracle Warns macOS 14.4 Can Cause Java to Terminate Unexpectedly

Last edited:

CyberGene

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I’m a Java backend engineer and my company provided Mac was updated to 14.4 and I’ve been experiencing unexpected termination of my dev environment a few times a day ever since. I thought it was the IDE, but it’s really frustrating to learn that it’s Apple to blame.

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
Remember when Oracle said F the Mac we aren't going to support it and Jobs had to implement a work around?

"Oracle supplies Java for all other platforms except for the Mac. Due to differences in release schedules, Apple's implementation of Java is always a version behind. Jobs indicates "This may not be the best way to do it."

UliBaer

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
Who needs Java anyway… the 90’s called, they want their tech back
Well, outside your little Apple-desktop-and-apps-world there is the great wide internet with big business servers, which are mainly driven by Java - surprise! :eek:
All developers for that well needed backends are now extremely handycapped - simple as that! Apple should asap provide a patch, or the fellow developers insisting of using a mac will be target for laughter from colleagues... 🤣

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I’m a Java backend engineer and my company provided Mac was updated to 14.4 and I’ve been experiencing unexpected termination of my dev environment a few times a day ever since. I thought it was the IDE, but it’s really frustrating to learn that it’s Apple to blame.

Apple? How about Oracle? Java is 28 years old! If Sun Microsystems still owned Java this probably never would have happened!

MoXoM

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
London
In the last few days I have received emails from different Audio Plugin developers warning against updating to SONOMA 14.4 if using Apple Silicon Macs as it may disrupt the functionality of iLok-authorised plugins.

So far I've received emails from McDSP, Universal Audio and iZotope.

Curiously it seems only those plugins in Audio Unit (AU) format (as used in Logic Pro) seem to be causing issues (not VST3 or AAX format).

Luckily I'm still on macOS Monterey...

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
I don't use Java much, but I thought Apple had backed out of it completely and Oracle was maintaining it solo now.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
I remember my first engineering gig was for TripAdvisor in one of their Spring boot back-ends and I hated it. Just a nightmare to debug anything in.

Oh you poor soul. Spring's acres of XML era was pretty awful. I avoided that but I did inherit a Spring.Net project a number of years ago. That was like Spring on Java but less mature, with poor documentation, land mines everywhere and ran on top of IIS just because you needed your balls kicking just that little bit harder.

Glad I don't do that now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.