Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

It's all apples and oranges now !!!!!!!

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Being series I've nothing but good to say about o2. There's loads of us who's contracts will be up in january so will be interesting to see what's offered.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
It'll be even more interesting if the rumours of Vodafone entering the mix are true.

My contract with O2 is up in January and I can pull in a significantly better signal in my flat with Vodafone. With Orange and T-Mobile, I get none...

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
Damn! I was really hoping Vodafone UK would be next on the list to get the iPhone.
As much as I would like to get one, I am very happy with Vodafone, and will not change airtime providers.
Sigh! Maybe in the future.

Apart from a small falling out with Vodafone over a £3k charge for 2 hours internet use (ultimately resolved), I've also been very happy with Vodafone and was hoping for the iPhone to be available on their network.

I do suspect though that Apple will start having multiple carriers in each country. The single network contracts were good at controlling the initual launches of the device, but to maintain traction in the market, they need to open up to multiple networks.

Phil

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That's good to hear.

Hopefully AT&T loses their exclusivity agreement soon, so they'll learn to step up their network.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Nice. Competition is a good thing. Now, if Apple would just kill exclusivity with AT&T and allow T-Mobile into the mix, then I would be a very happy camper and would gladly get off this damned network when my contract is up.
If you don't like AT&T how will T-Mobile's smaller network be any better? Now if the rumors of T-Mobile buying out Sprint are true that would make it interesting.

Of course T-Mobile, Sprint, and Nextel are all on different networks.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I just hope a price war starts, and O2 lower there prices, pushes iPhone prices down etc. Going Pay&Go for the next iPhone, and sim only contract, so doubt the benifits of this will affect me, most likely iPhone contracts will be the only thing affected.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
This is an excellent piece of news - more iPhone providers means more competition and a greater piece of the smartphone pie for Apple esp. in the mobile conscious UK. Now let's hope for the same in North America....

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
This is an excellent piece of news - more iPhone providers means more competition and a greater piece of the smartphone pie for Apple esp. in the mobile conscious UK. Now let's hope for the same in North America....

Whenever I visit the states I am amazed at how many people still use the Motorola V3/RAZR, they are still everywhere over there, its like 2002 all over again:D

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
They stick it on EVERYTHING they sell in the UK, every phone is locked and rebranded, settings are removed & they only sell phones which have special Orange firmware versions on it. On a side note, their plans range from 1-3 years, their service is appalling, signal is weak ... etc etc...

Its worth noting that I got an old Sony C902 (awful, AWFUL phone) last spring on Orange, which i haggled for over the phone with the retentions department. The phone had only just been released, so i got away without having Oranges offensive logos and piss poor software on it. I was greeted with a standard C902 in a standard C902 box with Orange 241 movie stickers slapped all over it. I dont know if they ship different stock out from different places, or if it was just too early for them to bastardise the thing with their branding.

nookster

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2002
Well, my iPhone's been with Orange since day one, using an 8 year old SIM, that I'm reluctant to bin as I get free texts for life on it :D

Would be nice to have it all official and non-hacktivated though.

And on the subject of UK carriers, all of the networks, anecdotes and personal experience notwithstanding, are ****, just in varying degrees, and of course your mileage may vary depending on mood of the underpaid CS rep that answers your call.

I juggle SIMs nowadays, Orange for SMS and calls, and Virgin for data use. My wallet has a Virgin sim and a poking tool in it at all times for the swap, not that I need it that much when free (or 'free') Wi-Fi is up for grabs in your average city.

Orange may go down the o2 route and set a fixed tariff, but you never know, you might get one on Dolphin 30 for a substantial handset outlay, heh. Need to see my old mate at the Orange shop about the plans.

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
I used to be with orange and I really doubt it that they will be able to offer a better deal. O2's simplicity works quite well for me. (Of course I had to buy the iphone on p&g first...)

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Coverage should be even better when T-mobile and Orange networks merge.

Unless Orange have been investing heavily in 3G antennae since the January Ofcom report, they're second behind 3 and T-Mobile's network pretty much overlaps Orange exactly.

See the maps in the PDF at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/

I hope this is just the start of it being available to ALL operators in the UK and the start of some price cuts to bring the iPhone down to the same levels we pay for non-Apple phones.

G58

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
Hallelujah

Finally I can put a 9mm through my retarded, narcoleptic N95. Only good thing about it is the camera.

Oh, I forgot, they took away my gat!

It's all good.

Well, it will be if Apple have been able to prevent Orange installing their dumb software on the iPhone. I figure that was the hold-up all along.

cecemf

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
London, UK
I'm with you. O2 has been an excellent partner for Apple, adopting every new feature from the word go, providing the username bypass to avoid image compression, having some of the best plans in the world, and, for a mobile phone outfit excellent customer services. The network is congested now so I'm looking forward to Orange having some of it.

I agree with you too, I have been with all operators and never been so happy with O2, their customer service is based in the UK and they are excellent, really helpful and polite, I agree that the 3G coverage sometimes it's not the best but neither is orange !!!

The operator in the UK with the most 3G coverage is THREE and if they do have the iPhone I will go for them ! as their network is not congested as it's the most modern one and build for the internet !

See OFCOM report here :
http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/news/2009/07/10/Ofcom-Slams-O2-3G-Coverage/p1

jdee04

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2005
Cardiff, UK
Was wondering about the wifi deal that O2 have with BT and The Cloud, will Orange be able to match that? Whilst 3G is ok, wifi is always my preference if its available.

Just for the record, I'm in the "poor O2 coverage" camp so would consider switching to Orange because of this (although I get a great broadband deal with O2 for being a monthly customer)

marcosscriven

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
Orange may go down the o2 route and set a fixed tariff, but you never know, you might get one on Dolphin 30 for a substantial handset outlay, heh. Need to see my old mate at the Orange shop about the plans.

I would guess that a fixed tariff for data would be a requirement from Apple.

NightwalkerUK

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
+1, that was the same line they used on everyone by the looks of it. After two years with no signal whatsoever in my house and being stupid enough to believe what I was told, I decided to opt out and switched to Vodaphone.

Things haven't been that bad now im with o2 to be fair so im hoping this mean the prices will come down through competition.

I was also hoping for Vodafone! I hope that future handset releases will at least be on o2 and Orange and not exclusive to Orange. Orange's coverage (and T-Mobiles also) in my area is appalling, poor 2G and no 3G, I was an Orange customer for about 6 years being told every year at renewal that they had plans to install a new mast in my area, that mast still is not present!

Please :apple: Don't make the iPhone exclusive to Orange :) lol

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I wouldn't fancy moving to Orange - their 3G coverage is reportedly better but it's not very strong and I know a lot of people who can't get any signal from their house or inside buildings!!!

Still, competition can only be good. I've always been very happy with O2 and a price war can only be a good thing!!!!!!

Orange will have to lower the price - they are still the underdogs - until they merge with T-Mobile at least!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.