Orange Box on Core 2 White iMac using Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Arjy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Arjy macrumors member

I have a 24'' 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo white iMac I bought back in March with the graphics upgraded to a GeForce 7600 card. I was going to go pickup a copy of XP tomorrow to install over bootcamp to play The Orange Box on and I was wondering a few things.

First thing I want to know is the obvious, will it work? I also have a black macbook which I know will not run The Orange Box so I'm not even going to attempt, but I have not read anything saying about white iMacs running them.

Second thing is, will the 32GB of space that bootcamp gives default be enough? What is a good amount of space to give for a partition I'm only going to use for games? I know that if its 32 or less I can use the FAT32 formatting which would be better overall since I can edit the partition from OSX as well.

Third thing is I have leopard installed from a drop in disk that came with the macbook, but it worked on both computers, but I want to know if the drop in disk includes the windows drivers that the bootcamp instructions describe the Leopard install disk to contain.

If you can answer these questions for me that'd be great, and once I go ahead and try this out over the next few days I'll let you guys know my results. Thanks

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Hey. You should be fine. I didn't want to install windows but finally bit the bullet when Orange Box came out. I have a white iMac 20" with 256MB X1600 and HL2 runs perfectly on high settings. You have to reduce the settings for each episode as they add more eye candy, but it still looks good and I'm sure your iMac will run run it well with a Nvidia 7600.

I've given my boot camp partition about 30GB which will be fine as I'm only going to have a few games installed at once. If you have lots of games, you might need more. FAT32 is a bit of an old file system now and has a few disadvantages. I recommend formatting to NTFS and possibly installed one of the NTFS writing plugins for OSX. Or make a small FAT32 partition for swapping files.

Your Leopard disk will definitely have Windows drivers on it. I was under the impression that all Leopard disks have the same stuff on it... expect maybe machine lockouts for the Macs with it preinstalled.