Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The O.C is planning a lawsuit against Toyota for the accelerator problems with many of the cars. I am quite concerned because I drive a 2007 Toyota Matrix and 2004 Toyota Highlander and just recently a man's Toyota Prius in San Diego, CA experienced sudden acceleration and it wasn't on the Toyota Recall List.:eek:

This is the first lawsuit other than NTSA that is planning to sue Toyota.

Orange County prosecutors have filed a lawsuit against Toyota because of continuing problems with its vehicles.

The district attorney's office accuses the automaker of knowingly selling hundreds of thousands of vehicles with acceleration defects. The office says it has the right to bring consumer protective action on behalf of Orange County residents.

Toyota spokesman Mike Michels says he has no comment because the company hasn't been served with the lawsuit.

Toyota has recalled more than 6 million in the United States because of acceleration problems in multiple models and braking issues in the Prius.

Regulators have linked 52 deaths to crashes allegedly caused by accelerator problems.

At least 89 class-action lawsuits have been filed against the Japanese auto giant, which could cost them $3 billion or more.

http://cbs2.com/local/Toyota.Orange.County.2.1556956.html

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
They deserve what ever they get due to them trying to hide this defect(and still are by not recalling all effected vehicles).

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
just recently a man's Toyota Prius in San Diego, CA experienced sudden acceleration and it wasn't on the Toyota Recall List.

IMHO, guy is a liar. His background: Bankrupt real estate salesman. Owes $700,000 in debt and $70,000 on credit cards. Is 5 months behind on Prius car payments. Has filed false charges previously.

The incident: REFUSED to shift into neutral even though instructed to several times. Drove 90+ MPH for over 20 minutes through traffic? :rolleyes: Still somehow managed to talk on the phone with 911 during that time, drop his phone twice, and tried to lift up the accelator with his hands? :rolleyes: Go into your parked car and see if you can reach the accelerator without taking your eyes off the windshield. Now imagine trying to do that while driving 90+ MPH through traffic. And oh yeah, his model Prius happens to have a brake override feature. :rolleyes: I guess he didn't research his hoax enough.

Edmunds calls it BS:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/03/was-this-prius-really-out-of-control.html

Forbes calls it a hoax:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/12/toyota-autos-hoax-media-opinions-contributors-michael-fumento.html

His former business partner calls him a scammer:

http://jalopnik.com/5492199/exclusive-ex+business-partner-claims-runaway-prius-driver-a-scammer

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
They deserve what ever they get due to them trying to hide this defect(and still are by not recalling all effected vehicles).

Agreed. Toyota needs to step up and say the truth. 52 people have been rumored to have died to this reason.

IMHO, guy is a liar. His background: Bankrupt real estate salesman. Owes $700,000 in debt and $70,000 on credit cards. Is 5 months behind on Prius car payments. Has filed false charges previously.

The incident: REFUSED to shift into neutral even though instructed to several times. Drove 90+ MPH for over 20 minutes through traffic? :rolleyes: Still somehow managed to talk on the phone with 911 during that time, drop his phone twice, and tried to lift up the accelator with his hands? :rolleyes: Go into your parked car and see if you can reach the accelerator without taking your eyes off the windshield. Now imagine trying to do that while driving 90+ MPH through traffic. And oh yeah, his model Prius happens to have a brake override feature. :rolleyes: I guess he didn't research his hoax enough.

Edmunds calls it BS:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/03/was-this-prius-really-out-of-control.html

Forbes calls it a hoax:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/12/toyota-autos-hoax-media-opinions-contributors-michael-fumento.html

http://jalopnik.com/5492199/exclusive-ex+business-partner-claims-runaway-prius-driver-a-scammer

WOW! I really didn't see that coming.:eek::eek:

Little has been discussed about the San Diego's man Toyota Acceleration Hoax here in LA.

I can really see people take advantage of this situation.

I just heard in the news about a man who was sentenced to jail for running-over 3 people and killing them. Now people are forgiving the guy for his crime because they think that the 1996 Camry had an acceleration problem defect.:rolleyes: Who knows? Might be true or not?

'Toyota defense' might rescue jailed Minnesota man
LINO LAKES, Minn. (AP) - Ever since his 1996 Toyota Camry shot up an interstate ramp, plowing into the back of an Oldsmobile in a horrific crash that killed three people, Koua Fong Lee insisted he had done everything he could to stop the car.

A jury didn't believe him, and a judge sentenced him to eight years in prison. But now, new revelations of safety problems with Toyotas have Lee pressing to get his case reopened and his freedom restored. Relatives of the victims - who condemned Lee at his sentencing three years ago - now believe he is innocent and are planning to sue Toyota. The prosecutor who sent Lee to prison said he thinks the case merits another look.

"I know 100 percent in my heart that I took my foot off the gas and that I was stepping on the brakes as hard as possible," Lee said in an interview Wednesday at the state prison in Lino Lakes. "When the brakes were looked at and we were told that nothing was wrong with the brakes, I was shocked."

Lee's accident is among a growing number of cases, some long resolved, that are getting new attention since Toyota admitted its problems with sudden acceleration were more extensive than originally believed. Numerous lawsuits involving Toyota accidents have been filed over the recent revelations, and attorneys expect the numbers will climb.

Lee's Camry wasn't among those subject to Toyota's recent safety recalls, but Toyota did recall some 1996 Camrys for defective cruise controls that could cause sudden acceleration.

Lee's current attorney, Brent Schafer, said several '96 Camry owners whose cars were not in the recall have filed sudden-acceleration complaints with federal regulators.

Was this one of those many TSBs that get slipped in if you bring your Toyota in for service? How far back will Toyota have to go to get a clean slate?
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1fa877/1720

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
It's cheap populist politics at the end of the day. They wouldn't dare touch it with an American manufacturer.

Oh please. Bush back in 2006 saying the Big 3 didn't make vehicles the public wanted and said he wouldn't help them( though he eventually did back in 2008, but according to Cheney I believe he did it so it would be one less thing he would be responsible for).

The Big 3 have been under the scrutiny of our government plenty of times. Most recent is back in 2008 when Congress grilled them when the CEO's went to ask for a loan. Even when our government took a 60% ownership of GM, they didn't hesitate to criticize its mismanagement. They stated GM's handling of its finances were the worst they have ever seen.

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
Oh please. Bush back in 2006 saying the Big 3 didn't make vehicles the public wanted and said he wouldn't help them( though he eventually did back in 2008, but according to Cheney I believe he did it so it would be one less thing he would be responsible for).

The Big 3 have been under the scrutiny of our government plenty of times. Most recent is back in 2008 when Congress grilled them when the CEO's went to ask for a loan. Even when our government took a 60% ownership of GM, they didn't hesitate to criticize its mismanagement. They stated GM's handling of its finances were the worst they have ever seen.

Scrutiny is not as serious as an actual prosecution though, which is on the cards here. Why is a state prosecution appropriate in this case? Aren't class actions the usual procedure in this case? I'm asking sincerely, by the way, it's a subject that has often confused me.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
This whole thing is complete bollox. Nothing but a bunch of incompetent and/or half asleep drivers stepping on the wrong pedal. "The harder I pressed on the brake, the faster it went"? That's because you were pressing on the accelerator, you ****. I've seen it happen a couple of times myself. Toyota will be ruined by this, for no good reason at all.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Scrutiny is not as serious as an actual prosecution though, which is on the cards here. Why is a state prosecution appropriate in this case? Aren't class actions the usual procedure in this case? I'm asking sincerely, by the way, it's a subject that has often confused me.

Because Toyota has potentially( with more evidence saying they did) hid this defect from the government( which they are legally obligated to).

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
Because Toyota has potentially( with more evidence saying they did) hid this defect from the government( which they are legally obligated to).

When you say potentially, do you mean they're launching the case without having evidence that Toyota attempted to conceal the alleged failures?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
An ex-Toyota lawyer having 6000 documents that he stole from Toyota stating they destroyed evidence of known defects and an internal memo of how they saved $110 million by delaying recalls and avoiding investigations.
It is hardly credible that Toyota would have 6,000 incriminating documents lying around to be stolen. Link?

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
An ex-Toyota lawyer having 6000 documents that he stole from Toyota stating they destroyed evidence of known defects and an internal memo of how they saved $110 million by delaying recalls and avoiding investigations.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/26/report-toyota-whistleblower-documents-trouble-house-panel/

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/22/report-toyota-bragged-about-saving-100m-with-limited-recall/

He's going to have fun defending the integrity of his evidence in court.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Car won't stop....

TURN CAR OFF?

/facepalm.

I don't care if your on the highway, turn it off, hit your emergency lights
and pull over. To the left side if you had to.

JNB

macrumors 604
Car won't stop....

TURN CAR OFF?

/facepalm.

I don't care if your on the highway, turn it off, hit your emergency lights
and pull over. To the left side if you had to.

That's the problem with any vehicle with "push-button" start; there's an interlock that prevents shutoff if the car's in gear and/or motion. It's Neutral or nothing in those. It's not a Toyota issue, it affects every make that uses the stupid thing. Even if it has a fob to be inserted first, removal of the fob does nothing.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Toyota will be ruined by this, for no good reason at all.
The reason is that American drivers are undereducated when it comes to the operation and indeed purpose of their vehicle. The government licenses as many people as possible without verifying that those people will be competent in operating a piece of heavy machinery in close proximity to other people in order to funnel as much money as possible out of the hands of private citizens and into big government and big business. All the while excusing the fact that their cash cow is also by far the largest cause of accidental deaths per year simply in the name of convenience and laziness, ignoring the problem entirely except to dump blame every so often on a single entity so as to excuse the entire system of their greed and manipulation. Therefore, if you think that our society being based on automobile transportation is a positive thing, there would have been a good reason for Toyota's ruin.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I am the first person to say Americans are idiots when it comes to driving, but it doesn't mean this defect doesn't exist.

Anyway, for some laughs.

THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 PONTIAC SOLSTICE. WHILE DRIVING 40 MPH WITH A BOAT IN TOW, THE VEHICLE BEGAN TO SHAKE, THE A-FRAME FAILED, AND THE MAIN FRAME COLLAPSED. THE CONTACT LOST CONTROL AND THE BOAT DETACHED FROM THE VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE CAME TO A STOP WHEN IT CRASHED INTO A BRIDGE.

I LEASED A LEXUS 2005 RX 330 ON NOVEMBER 30, 2004. SINCE I HAVE HAD THE CAR THE CAR HAS BEEN VANDALIZED TWO TIMES ONCE ON DECEMBER. 12 AND AGAIN ON JANUARY. 22. EACH TIME THERE HAS BEEN IN EXCESS OF 5,000 WORTH OF DAMAGE. EACH TIME IT IS THEFT INVOLVING OF XENON HEADLIGHTS. THIS IS A OBVIOUS MANUFACTURES DEFECT AND THE CAR SHOULD BE RECALLED. I URGE THIS DONE!!!

THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE VEHICLE'S RPMS RADICALLY INCREASED AND A LOUD REVVING NOISE WAS HEARD. THE FAILURE IS MORE NOTICEABLE AFTER ACCELERATING FROM AN IDLE POSITION.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/02/the-complaints-nhtsa-doesnt-want-you-to-see.html

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

Edmunds calls it BS:

Forbes calls it a hoax:

Amen to that! Think there will lots of worms out there that will try to profit off any problems that Toyota has going...

What has happened to Driver Ed over the years? I was trained in what to do when the breaks fail or the engine races...

Years ago I was going down a steep hill when my breaks gave out.. sounds like a setup - but it was not....

For this guy.. two or three calls to 911... and he was "afraid" of putting the car in neutral? Give me a break!

Reminds me of a lawsuit that Toyota lost here in Virginia. The guy lost his legs and won over the fact that seat-belts don't work if the seat is fully reclined! Go figure!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.