Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
It seems that a lot of the posts on forums are about bad service so I thought I would help even things out and say thank you to Orange, the UK Mobile Phone Network, or I should say their support staff, for walking me through the process of setting up my iBook to connect to the internet via my bluetooth Nokia 6630. It was a really refreshing process for me talking to someone who knows what a mac is, never mind how to configure one. well done Orange.

kewpid

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2003
There must be a certain positive karma associated with naming your company after a fruit :)

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
It may have been the the only guy at Orange that used a mac, as I had to wait all of 20 minutes for him to ring me because they didn't want to have to put me on hold for that long. The impression I got was that he had a mac in front of him as he could tell me exactly what was displayed on each screen I needed to goto and the exact wording of the options. Orange has also advertised their G3 pcmcia Data card using a PowerBook

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
It is expensive if you want to surf the net for any length of time, but I wanted to get it up and running because of the work I do I am on the road a great deal and it is very convenient to be able to send and receive e-mail.

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
Jason_Bryan said:
It seems that a lot of the posts on forums are about bad service so I thought I would help even things out and say thank you to Orange, the UK Mobile Phone Network, or I should say their support staff, for walking me through the process of setting up my iBook to connect to the internet via my bluetooth Nokia 6630. It was a really refreshing process for me talking to someone who knows what a mac is, never mind how to configure one. well done Orange.

was it tricky, cos i may try this with vodafone? like u, just for occasional use.

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
No it was really easy. The only information I needed was the APN, password and account name settings. The rest is just putting the info in the right box!
I have had a mobile with modem in since 1997 for use when travelling, the best period price wise was 2000 when I brought an unlimited internet account off a company called RedHotAnt at a one off cost of £40 for life time use. It used a 0800 number to access the internet and Orange allowed data connections on 0800 numbers at the time. I got 16 months of internet access for £40 all told. Not bad. Pity it didn't last.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Jason_Bryan said:
It may have been the the only guy at Orange that used a mac, as I had to wait all of 20 minutes for him to ring me because they didn't want to have to put me on hold for that long. The impression I got was that he had a mac in front of him as he could tell me exactly what was displayed on each screen I needed to goto and the exact wording of the options. Orange has also advertised their G3 pcmcia Data card using a PowerBook

The reason it seemed as though the tech had a mac right in front of him is probably b/c of a program called Virtual Apps or a similar program. At ELK tech support we used Virtual Apps.

Simple program of several screenshots placed on the web and linked on the web. So if I click on the apple I go to the next webpage showing the list of options and so on and so forth. It helps alot but can be limiting when there's not a screenshot for certain areas. We had one Mac at ELK. It was an old iMac G3 and you had to search to find it.

Then again the only calls from Mac people we got were newbies to setup their connection. Which I always loved because it was so quick and easy. That's just another reason I decided to switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.