Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kayters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Hello everyone,

I've just spilled orange juice on my MacBook Pro Mid-2012, while it was on.:( First thing I did was try to dry it out as much as possible (I even open the Mac and cleaned some components), and then I've waited 24h.

Now everything seems working, but the battery is dead (the battery icon says 'Replace Now') and the keyboard is sticky. These are pretty much the problems that I'm experiencing so far.

I've booked an appointment with the Genius Bar for next week, but I really don't know what to expect. I know that the warranty is void, but how much do you think the repair will cost me?

I've also run the hardware test, and the only detected problem was the battery fault, and that's it. So, do you think I got lucky or Apple will charge me to replace all the components anyway?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Your keyboard will likely need to be replaced.

I bought a MB Air in September 2013... and it was splashed with coke in November 2013 while I was on a cross country trip. The computer worked and there were no visible issues other than a few of the keys were sticky and the backlighting was no longer even across the keyboard.

When I got home a week later I took it in for an inspection at an Apple service center. They told me the keyboard needed to be replaced but the logic board was OK... it had dried coke on some of the chips and they cleaned it.

Cost me $400... and I used the laptop for the next 14 months without any issues until I sold it last week on Craigslist for $500 after upgrading to a Pro.

Kayters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Orange Juice on my MacBook

TRC-WA, thanks for your reply.

I've brought it to the Apple Store and they asked me £540 (I live in the UK) to replace the logic board and the keyboard (plus some sensors, I think). They basically want to change the top part entirely.

Do you think I should pay? The new retina costs about £1300 (with student discount), but I don't know how much money can I raise from this one. I was thinking about selling it, but I don't know which person will buy a MacBook with a problem like this (maybe someone who wants to reuse some components?), and if I can't raise at least £600, it's definitely not worth it.

What do you guys suggest?

Thank you!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Your keyboard will likely need to be replaced.

I bought a MB Air in September 2013... and it was splashed with coke in November 2013 while I was on a cross country trip. The computer worked and there were no visible issues other than a few of the keys were sticky and the backlighting was no longer even across the keyboard.

When I got home a week later I took it in for an inspection at an Apple service center. They told me the keyboard needed to be replaced but the logic board was OK... it had dried coke on some of the chips and they cleaned it.

Cost me $400... and I used the laptop for the next 14 months without any issues until I sold it last week on Craigslist for $500 after upgrading to a Pro.

That doesn't seem like a great deal. (?) Essentially you got $100 for the computer after the repair. You could probabl have gotten more for it selling unrepaired and with the issues fully disclosed?

Crugga

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Thats a lot of money and imo a write off unless you can fine a cheaper way around.

Do you have home contents insurance?, I spilt coffee in mine years ago and they gave me the cost of a new equivalent machine minus a small excess.

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
TRC-WA, thanks for your reply.

I've brought it to the Apple Store and they asked me £540 (I live in the UK) to replace the logic board and the keyboard (plus some sensors, I think). They basically want to change the top part entirely.

Do you think I should pay? The new retina costs about £1300 (with student discount), but I don't know how much money can I raise from this one. I was thinking about selling it, but I don't know which person will buy a MacBook with a problem like this (maybe someone who wants to reuse some components?), and if I can't raise at least £600, it's definitely not worth it.

What do you guys suggest?

Thank you!
I think that you're going to be hard pressed to find someone willing to buy it with a damaged logic board and keyboard for the cost that you'd need to come up with for the difference to purchase a new unit in all honesty.

My recommendation would be to have the computer repaired and get at least a few more years out of it, then look at upgrading. At least if it's in full working order at that time you may be able to get a decent sale out of it to help fund your upgrade.

Best of luck and have a great day.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
That doesn't seem like a great deal. (?) Essentially you got $100 for the computer after the repair. You could probabl have gotten more for it selling unrepaired and with the issues fully disclosed?

Well considering the fact I used it for 14 months after the repair I couldn't really sell it unrepaired.

It was still a net loss either way... $1000 price + $400 repair in 2013... Sold for $500 in 2014.

Live and learn... I won't be drinking alcohol while using my new Pro on my next flight.

My recommendation would be to have the computer repaired and get at least a few more years out of it, then look at upgrading. At least if it's in full working order at that time you may be able to get a decent sale out of it to help fund your upgrade.

Which is exactly what I did... LOL

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I was assuming you could get $200-400 for it on eBay even if it were listed as DOA/parts only, but I didn't (and still haven't ;) ) checked to see if that's a reasonable guess. :)

Kayters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Orange Juice on my MacBook

Guys, just a quick update about what happened to me (which is kind of interesting).

As I've told you a couple of weeks ago, Apple asked me £540 to replace the logic board and the keyboard. I took some time to think about it, and then I've decided to go with the repairs.

When I went to the Genius Bar for the 2nd time, they analyse my MacBook like the first time, and... they told me that the only problem was the battery, and that they could change it along with the keyboard for £270.

I didn't told anything to the technician about the first time I went there (it wasn't my responsibility after all, they're the one who needs to do the repairs properly), so I've just waited to see how things will turns out.

Yesterday evening they sent me an email; my MacBook was ready for the pickup. The technician confirmed me that the other parts of the Mac wasn't been hit by the orange juice.

If I'd decided to go with the repairs right away, I'd have paid twice the price that I actually paid the second time I went.:confused:

The strange thing is that, the first time I went, they told me that the technician had tried the battery on another Mac, and it worked.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.