Orange network UK, iPhone unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WillEH, Jul 5, 2011.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I've been with orange for 3 years now, my contract is ending on the 14th. I'm going to go with PayAsYouGo, but I don't want to stay with Orange. I'm looking to go with O2, but I know my phone is locked to Orange sim only. Will orange unlock my phone so I can use it on any network? I hear it's possible after 12 months with them? Can anyone confirm? I'll go back to Orange when iPhone 5 comes out.

2. bandofbrothers, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

First try an 02 sim card in your fone as sometimes a contract fone is already unlocked.

If not then contact orange for the unlock code and expect a fee of around £15 for the code. You will be entitled to this when your contract has run its course.

Why not ask for a PAC code too so you get to keep your telephone number when you join 02.
    Make sure you dont close your orange account until the transfer has been completed.

Im on payg with 02 and for £20 get ;

300 cross network minutes.
    Unlimited texts.
    500mb of internet use.

Its called simplicity unlimited although this tariff is not available to new members, the equivelant is £21.50 I believe.

If I may ask, why are you leaving Orange ?

In my case I left Virgin Mobile on contract to join 02 as this network gives me better signal where I live and work, and their payg tariff is much better too.

The only drawback of a payg is no new 'free' shiny fone , which we all know is not free when on an 18-24 month contract !

3. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Just a guess, but maybe because their 3G service is quite possibly the worst one on the planet or they just continually send me the worst phones ever made? I originally thought it was HTC, which was fairly horrendous in so many other ways, as well as the 3G, but then the iPhone 4, which I love as a phone, but the 3G service is dire no matter where I am in London, so my natural conclusion has to be that Orange's 3G service is a complete disgrace. Despite what they may tell you when you ring up and complain, and they try and make you think it's an isolated case, but a quick scan of the net will show I'm very much not alone with Orange and their 'service'.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I've read that some UK carriers will unlock for free after the contract is over. I'd ask them about it if I were you! The cool thing about a carrier unlock is that it's permanent and not sketchy like the Gevey SIM or the iPad baseband.

5. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Hey, it's £20.00 for Orange to unlock, I rang them up, and the customer service person did me a good deal, £20/month (Pay as you go) with 500 MB, unlimited texts, 600 mins. A little bit upset that I was paying £50/month for all the same stuff, apart from 750 MB. So in the end, I'm staying with Orange till iPhone 5. ;)

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Get them to unlock your phone anyway! Boosts the resale value. :)