Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

French website PCInpact reports that Orange, Apple's official carrier of the iPhone in France, has been contacting existing customers with upgrade offers for the rumored 3G iPhone.

The first solution is a direct swap where owners can trade in their existing iPhone and get the second gen version for 50 euros.

The other option for those who would to keep their current iPhone, but also want the (supposedly) 3G version means they can buy the new model enjoying a "generous" discount.

Apple's 3G iPhone is expected to be announced at WWDC. Given Apple's preference for secrecy, it would appear as though such solicitations are being made prematurely.

[ via Sky News ]

Article Link

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
This is it then. Come on Apple, just announce it! There's not much left for Steve Jobs to tell on June 9th... :D

Also sounds like good news for existing iPhone users..! :)

Comment

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
How about the United States???

Fat chance we'll see AT&T offer the same deal to people in the U.S. But we can always hope... Honestly, I'm not sure why AT&T doesn't do this... they could take all the old iPhones in and resell them to people who can't get 3G or offer them as deeply discounted refurbs, thereby creating new AT&T customers, getting people cheap iPhones and making their existing customers happy in the process.

Allez les bleus.

Comment

atacinus

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
New York City
As always the french get the best deals. I'm planning to have to shell out the full $399 AND sign a new two year contract. God bless the US of A.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
OMG.. I am selling my iPhone. What are the odds of AT&T doing this? I am going to be very upset if this is true because as of friday, I won't have an iPhone to swap in.

Comment

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
That would be great if they offered a deal for current iPhone customers in the US but I doubt it.

Comment

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
Heh, I'm going to laugh so hard if they don't announce a 3G iPhone at WWDC. I mean, I'm also going to cry as I want to buy one, but this site's reaction=priceless.

Comment

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Heh, I'm going to laugh so hard if they don't announce a 3G iPhone at WWDC. I mean, I'm also going to cry as I want to buy one, but this site's reaction=priceless.

I really would rush here as fast as possible if he didn't announce it :D

I am praying we have some sort of deal like this BUT, BUT, BUT I understand completely why Apple would never do that here as I have never had that type of thing for past phones nor do I feel I SHOULD get it

Comment

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Hell, if I can get a new iPhone for something like $99, I'd freak out. I'm not dropping $400 for it right now if that's my only choice. If Apple is smart, they'd give some sort of break if they want to sell these things. I'm not convinced that it will sell like the first gen did if millions already have one. 3G isn't that popular right now, but I bet it takes off when the iPhone comes out.

Comment

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
well by reading the article it looks like orange hasnt confirmed this and there is no hard proof yet so this could just be another rumor:rolleyes:

Comment

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
just sold my 8GB for $375 cash, as long as the 3G is less than that, i'll be happy. Heck, even if it's still $399 I'll be happy, but between this news and talks of AT&T contract subsidies, I think a sub $300 iPhone is pretty likely.

Comment

Switz213

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
I could see Steve Jobs ending the keynote without announcing it, then as everyone is leaving, be like...
oh wait.....

I forgot, we made a new iphone.
lol

Comment

alecapple

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
Corporate america (AT&T) should stop being b****es and start offering their existing customers good deals, what ever happened to faithful customers getting treated well? I really hope to be able to trade mine in to get 3g.

Comment

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Corporate america (AT&T) should stop being b****es and start offering their existing customers good deals, what ever happened to faithful customers getting treated well? I really hope to be able to trade mine in to get 3g.

Eh, I agree generally about many companies but in this case I don't feel AT&T has to give us a discount for the 3G

If they do, great

If they don't, so be it

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.