Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewlesh

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
All you have to do is have a look at...

800px-IPhone_availability.png

Also i still think there is going to be activation.. why else would they hold discussions, organize and announce the iPhone in these countries.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Chances are by the time you visit Belgium next year, the European Court of Justice will rule that Belgium's anti-bundling law should be struck down because it's incompatible with EU directives. And Belgium is going to repeal the law.

That would be a shame IMO, I think the current structure is actually beneficial to the client. OK the handset prices may be higher but the contract costs are cheap and easy to get out of. That leads to more flexibility.

Shadowriver

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Emmm map is not complete, i heard Orange gotten exclusivity in Romania ;p
and on list in beginning of the topic you missed Poland ^^'

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
There are 2 Belgium cases that have appealed up to the European Court of Justice on whether Belgium's anti-bundling law is against EU's consumer protection laws (the cases will be heard on June 17, 2008).

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/16/technology/iphone.php

Meanwhile, Belgium is thinking about repealing the anti-bundling law.

http://www.vanbaelbellis.com/files/BE 0108-100213A.pdf

Looks like Orange is betting that Beglium is going to kill their existing laws.

Orange is not betting on it. Like in France, Apple and Orange will find a way to legally sell the iphone in Belgium. This is by selling it locked with mobistar (Belgium's Orange) and an other provider. Or by selling A locked and unlocked version, like in France.

To me it is dissapointing that you have to buy the iphone with a contract, and if you don't, you need to pay more money (thinking legally).

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
That would be a shame IMO, I think the current structure is actually beneficial to the client. OK the handset prices may be higher but the contract costs are cheap and easy to get out of. That leads to more flexibility.

The European Commission thinks that BIPT is not independent enough from the Ministry and is too close to the carriers.

To me it is dissapointing that you have to buy the iphone with a contract, and if you don't, you need to pay more money (thinking legally).

So what do you want? They give you the iphone for free and your iphone plan is as cheap as the US iphone plan.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
The European Commission thinks that BIPT is not independent enough from the Ministry and is too close to the carriers.

So what do you want? They give you the iphone for free and your iphone plan is as cheap as the US iphone plan.

No. I want too buy the iPhone and have a contract, like: you can choose when you want to reload your money. Like pay&go. You pay 10 € and get 10 € where you can call and sms with. But you need to reload a minimum of 10€ ten times with the same provider, let's say AT&T. And after that you're free. I want this because every month is a huge difference with me. Sometimes I use 15 € in a month, sometimes 5.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
No. I want too buy the iPhone and have a contract, like: you can choose when you want to reload your money. Like pay&go. You pay 10 € and get 10 € where you can call and sms with. But you need to reload a minimum of 10€ ten times with the same provider, let's say AT&T. And after that you're free. I want this because every month is a huge difference with me. Sometimes I use 15 € in a month, sometimes 5.

Don't we all wish that type of thing would be available. lol. That's how all the cell carriers make their money! I've never really spent any amount of time looking into Pay-and-go as it is usually intended, as least in the United States, for kids and people with bad credit. But I've heard it is very expensive for minutes, and you can't get data coverage. I don't know about Belgium and the rest of Europe, but I doubt the USA will see a pay-and-go iPhone anytime soon.

trickytrev

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
Australia
so in switzerland, all 3 big carriers have announced the iphone!!
(Swisscom, Orange, Sunrise) - estimated selling potential of 250,000 to 500,000 phones they reckon.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Don't we all wish that type of thing would be available. lol. That's how all the cell carriers make their money! I've never really spent any amount of time looking into Pay-and-go as it is usually intended, as least in the United States, for kids and people with bad credit. But I've heard it is very expensive for minutes, and you can't get data coverage. I don't know about Belgium and the rest of Europe, but I doubt the USA will see a pay-and-go iPhone anytime soon.

Well carriers could make money out of this. In Belgium almost all the teenagers have prepaid sim cards. It does cost me 30 eurocent per minute and 8 eurocent for an sms to all the carriers. But when I reload for 10 € I Get 1000 sms free to the same carrier (in my case Base or Jim) and 30 min. free to the same carrier. And because almost all my friends are BAse or Jim, this is very handy! The free sms and minutes are worth for one month, and the rest a year.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
Poland! At least! :D

But wait a second. What about activation? There's no iTunes Store in Poland, how are we going to activate those iPhones?
Or maybe they won't need activation...?
i can agree with you :D lol Go Poland :D but seriously how is all this going to happen maybe its a global unlock for all the countries lol :D

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
i can agree with you :D lol Go Poland :D but seriously how is all this going to happen maybe its a global unlock for all the countries lol :D

Totally unrelated: although this only extends to 3 people, I just wanted to say that it seems every Polish girl I have met is beautiful!! Now of course this is within the Los Angeles area and many beautiful women move here to work in the entertainment industry --- however, none of them were trying to be models or actresses.
oh, and their sexy accents! Polish accents are definitely sexier than many european accents, although no one can rival the french! Go Poland! :)

SUDIZ

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
So we have:
01) USA
02) UK
03) Germany
04) Austria
05) France
06) Ireland
07) India
08) Argentina
09) Brazil
10) Chile
11) Dominican Republic
12) El Salvador
13) Guatemala
14) Honduras
15) Jamaica
16) Nicaragua
17) Paraguay
18) Peru
19) Puerto Rico
20) Uruguay
21) Colombia
22) Philippines
23) Jamaica
24) Australia
25) Ecuador
26) Canada
27) Singapore
28) Mexico
29) Italy
30) Czech Republic
31) Egypt
32) Greece
33) Italy
34) New Zealand
35) Portugal
36) Turkey
37) Belgium
38) Jordan
39) Poland
40) Romania
41) Slovakia
42) Switzerland
43) South Africa (not sure which specific countries)

Thank you, Wikipedia. Have I left anyone out?

Either way, I don't think Apple will have a problem hitting their 10 million mark by year's end.

I agree with you..;)

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
Chances are by the time you visit Belgium next year, the European Court of Justice will rule that Belgium's anti-bundling law should be struck down because it's incompatible with EU directives. And Belgium is going to repeal the law.

Mobistar has delayed the launch in Belgium :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.