Orange UK also Capping Data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NightFox, Jun 11, 2010.

1. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

Hardly surprising, from The Register

Orange UK is to scrap unlimited data plans for new and upgrading customers in the summer, according to reports.

You'd better look after your phone then, if you are a heavy data user.

Orange is saying nothing in public yet, but the trade paper Mobile "understands" that the cello is to follow the example of 02, which canned unlimited data bundles yesterday.

Vodafone in effect scrapped unlimited data tariffs last month, when it signalled its intention to impose "out-of-bundle" data charges.

2. LGShepherd macrumors regular

I always thought Orange and Vodafone always had data caps on their iPhone tariffs? I am sure Orange is 750mb and Vodafone is 1Gb.

Are you referring to iPhone tariffs only or every single tariff that they offer?

3. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68000

NightFox

No idea, just quoting the article as loads of O2 people say they're going to move to Orange/T-Mob or Voda because of O2 capping their data. For some, there's additional reasons though.

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

Orange called it unlimited but had 750mb fair use cap ... O2 i think will revise upwards but i reckon most of the UK networks are going to cap out at around 750-1gb / month on smartphone tariffs

5. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I hope they don't. I just check email, browse a bit, check Twitter and Facebook and I use 500MB in a few days never mind a month, according to the O2 website.

I was hoping other carriers would offer a higher data cap. If they don't, I think I'll be going for a monthly subsidised iPhone 4 with one of the cheaper tariffs (don't need many minutes) and just using boltons to get my data. For me, that should work out cheaper than going for a more expensive tariff with no bolt ons that covers the data.

Come on Orange/Vodafone etc... surprise us and put O2 in their place!

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

Vodafone has always been very tight on data limits ... i can't see them getting a sudden bout of generosity

Depending on the handset prices etc, i'm kinda ok with taking the cheapest monthly (or maybe even the 30day rolling) contract and then just topping up when i need to...

I looked at my usage last night and it seems i've used less than 750Mb since January ...

7. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

500mb in a few days just casually browsing? are you sure??

8. davemanroe macrumors member

500mb in a few days is a lot! I was surprised how little data I get through - according to my phone, I've used just over 1 GB since the last stats reset in July 2009! That's more like what I call casual use, google maps, checking the web for opening times etc, the odd iTunes album and app updates that can't wait till I get home. And that's with push email on one account, automatic checking on 3 other email accounts, and MobileMe push synching calendars and contacts too.

9. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68000

NightFox

I just mentioned in another thread - we've got O2 saying that only about 3% of users use more than 500MB/month, but probably about 25% of the posters on here reckon they get through that much in a couple of days!

10. LGShepherd macrumors regular

In regards to Orange, they send texts to let you know that you are close to your limits and restrict your speed when you hit the limit but I have never heard of people being charged (I work for Orange).

I have a sneaky feeling that Three will offer unlimited data or something in the region of 2Gb/3Gb and I only say this because they are the least popular network and I bet they will want a lot of new customers. Also, 2 weeks ago they offered my brother a free 3gs to stay with them and I assume they will do this at a loss.

That is my guess thought. I just want tariffs released soon so I can decide ha

11. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Yes, and the occasional Youtube video maybe and an app download once in a blue moon. A lot of people seem to be in the same position as me. They don't do much, then they check the O2 website and an insane amount of data comes out at midnight every night. It says I've used just over 400MB since the 3rd this month! Honestly I've browsed the net and downloaded emails, none with huge attachments. As others have pointed out, there's something fishy going on.

12. Mightyred macrumors newbie

Hi can someone piont me to exactly where on the o2 dashboard i find my data useage as it always seems to say zero where I am looking!

Many thanks

Sara

13. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Mine says 'No allowances available', so I rely on the usage counter on the phone

14. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

which bit is accounted for? sent or received or both?

15. Mattwood macrumors member

Mattwood

I have received 1.6GB and sent 300MB in just over a month!

I'm on wi-fi from 5-6pm til 8am, 500MB is easy to use up. reset your data and watch a couple of 5 minute videos on youtube and see what that uses! also TVCatchup users need to be careful!

I just had a look around and it seems all networks are moving to 500MB as the new fair use policy on 'unlimited' internet (side note anyone else pissed off with them calling data unlimited when it has fair use policy)

I guess Voda and Orange will move back down to 500MB as lets face it all networks conspire against users. its like a bloody cartel!

GiffGaff a O2 ran MVNO still offer truly unlimited internet in their goodie bags and 100MB per day for free till the end of the month. but goodie bags are paid extras. saying that its O2 its going to drop to 500MB too :p

16. Igantius macrumors 65816

The Register also had a similar story for O2 yesterday – that it was ending unlimited data plans for all smartphones.

Unlike other iPhone operators in the UK, Orange’s data allowance was for both mobile network and Wi-Fi (via BT Openzone) combined.