Orange UK iPad 2 users - please help! (registering)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Brookzy, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Hi guys,

Got my iPad 2 on Friday on an Orange contract. Not the best deal I know but it was that or no iPad, the Apple Store had sold out.

My problem is when I try and register for the 'Your Orange' account - it asks me to put the mobile number of the sim in, so I do, it then tries to send me a security code via text!

Now, to the best of my knowledge the iPad cannot receive texts.

I can't out the sim into another phone because it is a micro sim and the only phones I have access to with micro sim support are mine and a couple of relatives iPhones - which are all locked to vodafone.

I need to get this account registered so I can get my BT Openzone password, and see how much data I've used. (Although I could just trust the usage stats in the settings).

Any ideas anyone?

Any help would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance to respondents. :)

:apple:

2. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Typical Orange. They never think ahead.

Not sure of a way around this for you without putting the Micro-SIM into another device. Obviously the only option will be an iPhone 4 if one of your friends has one, alternatively you will need to pop to an Orange store and borrow one of theirs.

3. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Thanks for the speedy reply!

There must be something else though, I mean there must be hundreds of people in this situation.

Looks like I'll be ringing them up some time in the week...

I sort of wish I just had some patience and got one from 3. For exactly the same price they do 15gb per month! (Orange is 1gb plus 1gb between midnight and 4pm) :rolleyes:

4. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Found this for you as well:

You can access Orange WiFi in over 78000 BT Openzone hotspots* by simply registering your details on the BT Openzone Site.
    • Download the Orange WiFi app to locate BT Openzone's WiFi hotspots. This will let you see where the nearest BT Openzone hotspot is.
    • Turn WiFi on in your device's network settings.
    • If you're in a BT Openzone hotspot, select it from the list of available WiFi networks to connect.
    • Open your browser and register your details. To do this you'll need your mobile number, or mobile broadband number, and your WiFi password. We sent you your Orange WiFi password by text message when you first joined Orange.

When i found this I realised what you're trying to do.
    I don't think you will need to have access to Your Account to be able to get the code.

Just give Orange a call. It's 150 from an Orange mobile, or 07973 100 150 from any other phone and a member of the customer services team should be able to assist you. Advise them that you cannot receive the text on you designated mobile number and they should be able to arrange to send it to an alternative for you. Or maybe even an email address.

Hope that helps.

5. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I used to work for them, and they've had this same issue for years with those USB Modem things they do. They still haven't fixed the situation obviously.

"The Future's Bright......
    ....it's the here and now they're getting wrong"
    LOL

6. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Thanks for the time you've spent searching!

I just can't believe a company like Orange can make such basic errors when deesigning their registering. :eek:

7. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

:p lol

8. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

When Orange first started years ago, they were a very proactive company - for example they had the first Video Phone (they saw the light long before Apple and FaceTime)

As time has gone on, they've become more and more reactive which is such a shame really, especially in the telecoms / tech industry.

The reason why there is the situation that you have found yourself in is because the system is designed for phones, not data only devices. What's a shame is that devices like the iPad, or netbooks, or USB Modems have been available for a long time, and Orange even now doesn't have a system in place to accommodate it.

Even more frustrating is that I know for an absolute fact that the people in the right teams are well aware of it, and yet even the staff in the store's that sold you the iPad weren't able to tell you about it. That to me is the worst bit.

9. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

How do you view Orange overall? In terms of how good the network is, general attitude of staff, value for money etc.? Obviously since you have worked there you must have some inside gossip :p

In my own experience, when I got home I was pleasantly surprised that I got 4 bars of 3G signal on the iPad. The thing is, even with that signal strength, I got just 0.8 meg download! Compare that with the 6 meg I get on my iPhone with vodafone which has 3 bars.

10. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

LOL, I could go on an on trying to answer that question.

Orange will always be my network of choice, I've been with them for years, before and since working for them. They are a local company to me (Bristol) and their signal availability in the area's i frequent are the best.

As for inside gossip, I think honestly that their internal recruitment process is flawed and due to that they don't always have the "right person, in the right place, at the right time". Not just in customer services, but throughout the company.

As an Apple fan, you will no doubt have read some horror stories about AT&T and yet, that is who Orange aspire to be like. Certainly within Customer Services.

I think that the agents who work in customer services do a lot to try and satisfy customers as much as possible, but they get let down by policies, processes and (as above) other people in the organisation who decide them. often people who haven't spent any time in customer services. Which is a bit of a shame.

For the most part though they are pretty good. I have had worse and equal, but never better.

As for the data speeds you are experiencing you will need to remember that on a GSM network the data rate is "shared". You can have up to 8 simultaneous data connections, per aerial (or base station). This is increased because the data is sent in packets. Confused? In essence the more people using data in an area the slower the data will be.

So if there are a lot of people who live near you on Orange, and less people on Vodafone, that is why you will have different data speeds.

11. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

With regards to your above issue, I checked the AppStore for you as well to see if you can register through the Your Orange App, but it seems that you need to already be registered with Your Account at the Orange.co.uk website.

So short of trying the SIM in one of your iPhones, on the off chance that it is unlocked, it's gonna be a call to Orange.

12. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Interesting insight :)

At the end of the day, any large company is going to have the flaws you mentioned to some extent, even Apple :eek:, but as you also point out it has the most positives.

And thank you for your explanation on speed, pretty much identical to the contention ratio you have on home networks. (My home connection has a 1:1 dedicated connection, used to high speeds! 40 meg download :D )

13. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Yup, all the iPhones are locked to vodafone. :mad:

14. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

All right show off!
    I get 8Meg (but only on days when everyone's out buying Apple products, or protesting)

15. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Sorry... I think I'm just proud of my connection; took me 3 years to get it! :eek:
    :eek:

16. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

It's cool. I'd be the same if I was rockin' that speed.

17. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Solved.

Just checked the sim pack from Orange and it conveniently has a micro sim to standard (?? name) sim adapter.

Found a half broken old Sony Ericsson lying in a draw, and it's charger (which I couldn't believe :p ) and luckily it wasn't locked to a network.

Picked up the text from that and now good to go. :D

Still rubbish that Orange didn't think of this beforehand.

18. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

19. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

:eek: I'm such an idiot.

Thanks for your help!