Orange UK Iphone 4 Unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simacca, May 26, 2011.

1. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I have a used iPhone 4 locked to Orange UK. Am currently using my Orange contract sim (unofficially).

I would like to know how I can get it unlocked?

As far as I know Orange wont unlock 2nd hand iPhones as they are registered to someone else.

I purchased it from Computer Exchange, so am unable to trace the previous owner.

Would be great if I can get it unlocked.

Thanks.

2. taimur4u macrumors newbie

taimur4u

Which iOS do you have installed on your iPhone and whats the firmware num?

3. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Software is : 4.3.3 (8J2)

Modem Firmware is : 04.10.01

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

have you tried ringing them? They generally unlock the iPhone for £20..... can't harm to ring and ask.

5. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I remember enquiring with orange a while ago and them telling me that it has to be purchased from Orange to be unlocked and I have to purchase a PAYG sim and use it for 3 months.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

did the shop say it was locked to another netowrk? CEX generally state what network a phone is locked to.

7. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Yes. I did buy the phone locked to Orange as my contract is with Orange. The unlocked models were too expensive.

I didnt realise at the time that I would have trouble getting it unlocked in the future.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

should still be able to get it unlocked with Orange as it's locked to their network..... best advice is to just give em a ring and give them your situation and see what they say but really shouldn't be a problem as I unlocked a 3G I got second hand with O2 just used a payg sim with £20 on.

9. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I will give them a ring, but I don't think I will have much luck. O2 are much more forgiving with unlocking iPhones from what I have read.

I have seen various websites offering unlocks from £40 to £80, but don't know how reliable they are.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Save your money they are Scams. If you have an Orange contract and you have been using the SIM in the iphone. You need to call orange.

11. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Thanks. I was suspicious.

I'm not on an iPhone tariff. I cut my sim down and put it into the iPhone. Orange are none the wiser. If I tell them they will try and put me onto an iPhone tariff which isn't as good value for money as what I'm getting.

I'm due for an upgrade and wanted to get a new phone, (am hoping they announce a new iPhone next month, if not I will get an android phone and stick with my current tarrif with a discount for staying with orange).

I wanted to unlock this phone to use on the 3 network on PAYG.

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I may be wrong here but I doubt they can stick you on an iPhone contract without your permission... I may be wrong.

13. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Your correct, but I would have to go on one if I was to have any chance of an unlock though :(

14. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

could go into a store and ask for a iPhone payg sim and do it that way?

15. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

According to the Orange website a PAYG micro sim will cost me £15 then I have to top it up with £10.

I then have to keep it in my phone for 3 months and top it up again to get it unlocked.

This is for people who purchased their iphone 4 from Orange. I don't know if it will work for people who purchased 2nd hand? Also it's such a long process just to get my phone unlocked!

Has anyone tried this?

A quicker option would be good :)

Thanks.

16. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Well I spoke to someone at Orange CS and in an Orange phone store and both people told me that even if I did go down the route of purchasing a PAYG micro sim, I would not be able to get it unlocked as I was not the original owner.

That is BS. If it was any other phone, I would be able to get it unlocked one way or another.

Cannot believe there is no way of getting this phone unlocked!!

17. catiphone4 macrumors newbie

Help unlocking an iphone4 locked to Orange, no contract.

Can anyone help? I have an iPhone4 that is locked to Orange UK. I am now in Australia and want to use a Vodafone AU sim. Getting the phone unlocked through the service that Orange provides as you need to have a contract with them and I don't have any contract, the sim card in the phone is not connected anymore. Do I have any options?

Thanks
    Cat :confused:

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Your only option might be to use the Gevey turbo SIM.

19. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

20. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

21. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Have you tried asking a market trader at your local flea market ?

Networks put the 3 months use on a payg to recoup the subsidy levied against the fone. Obviously as you didn't purchase the fone on a payg term this would be applicable to you.

Are you wanting to use it on another network or sell it on hence the unlock question ! Personally I would not take the 1st answer you were given by Orange, and pursue the unlock avenue thro e mail etc.

22. stupidm4n macrumors member

Just been on the phone to orange customer services about this. I had my iPhone replaced by apple two weeks ago, asked orange to unlock it today and they won't, got to wait three months as it is a new imei number. Tried explaining what happened and that apple replaced phone but they just kept repeating the same thing that I have to wait three months.
    Asked to speak to supervisor but they were all in a meeting, also they said that orange don't keep the 20 pound charge it goes to Apple. So I asked if I went to apple store and asked them to unlock for 20 pounds they would say yes, he replied you could try that. Told him I would phone up tomorrow, so I could speak to a supervisor and be told more rubbish.

Sim card has been registered in an iPhone 4 since November 2010

23. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I hate Orange, actually hate them. I once bought an iPhone from eBay, but before I did I called orange to ask if they would unlock it, which they said they would for £25. So I bought it, and then they gave me the rubbish about the three months and needing a an Orange sim in it. I complained to the CEO, got £80 credit and the fee waived...I then sold the phone and the sim because I didn't want to be stuck with Orange.

Anyway, rant over, my point is e-mail the CEO (Tom.Alexander@Orange.com I think, google it though...) and one of his minions will call you back and should eventually sort you out - ensure you kick up a real stink though but stay calm at the same time.

EDIT By the way, I've just got my iphone4 unlocked by Vodafone for free...

24. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

reading helps brah! IT was discontinued for ATT carrier. Now they only offer unlock for carriers that sell locked iphone.

25. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I went and read afterward but I don't think anyone wants to pay $90-$150 for an unlock. The only reason it was so popular to begin with is because it supported AT&T at first and because there was never any chance of AT&T unlocking an iPhone. :rolleyes: