Orange UK Preparing to Offer Subsidized iPad Pricing

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

UK wireless carrier Orange today announced that it will soon begin offering subsidized pricing on Apple's WiFi + 3G iPad models for customers willing to sign up for a contract data plan.
Orange UK today announced it will offer new purchase options for iPad users, including more affordable prices when purchased with a data service plan, for iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G models in the coming months.
No details on pricing for the subsidized models or the data plan packages that will be required have yet been released, although reports have claimed that the subsidized device could cost as little as £200 and launch early next month.

The current business model in use for cellular data service on the iPad involves non-subsidized device pricing paired with contract-free data packages, allowing customers to pay for data service only as needed. Orange's forthcoming offerings will be more in line with pricing models for mobile phones such as the iPhone, offering the customer a discounted upfront purchase price for the device in exchange for a fixed-term service contract.

Article Link: Orange UK Preparing to Offer Subsidized iPad Pricing

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
don't do it!

you'll pay far more over the two year span and end up with an obsolete machine very quickly.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have a 64GB WiFi. Wasn't going to wait for or pay for the $130 3G surcharge, when I can get most what I need off my iPhone. And my iPad really never leaves the house. When iPad 2 comes out, will most likely sell my iPad and get one, but since I don't fill it I can see getting a 32GB 3G, if pricing stays similar. Having the option to turn on 3G service would be nice.

craigy2302

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
Scarborough, North Yorkshire
I got an email about this today at work. Not that it would normally bother me, but my iPad (16gb wifi) had just been delivered and 2 days before a MiFi on contract with orange >.<

Suppose I am not tied into a device specific contract.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
It's just another option and another place where the iPad will be visible to customers.

You know you have a hit product when companies line up to work with it.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Say what you want about AT&T (I have many issues with them too), but one thing they did right is the a la carte data plans for iPad. Have to give them credit for that. I wish we could see more of that from carriers.

jlw2387

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

cxny said:
you'll pay far more over the two year span and end up with an obsolete machine very quickly.
So how is a full price iPad plus two years of a data plan cheaper than a subsidized iPad and two years of a data plan? If you are planning on keeping the device and the data plan for the contract period anyway, it's a great deal.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Id rather just get the none 3g version and use my android phone as a wifi hotspot if I wanted remote internet.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
This is the kind of thing I'd be interested in. Although I'd wait for Three to do it instead since their mobile broadband deals are by far the best. Chances are I'd still rather just go with pay-as-you-go.

My guess is that Orange will offer it with pretty much the same subsidies and monthly fees as with the iPhone 4 but with maybe £5 less per month so £25 per month will get you a 32GB 3G iPad for £319 with an 18 month contract or £269 with a 24 month one. The 16GB 3G iPad being £259 for 18 months and £199 for 24 months.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So how is a full price iPad plus two years of a data plan cheaper than a subsidized iPad and two years of a data plan? If you are planning on keeping the device and the data plan for the contract period anyway, it's a great deal.
iPad 16GB - £529 outright

Using the lowest upfront price that people have suggested - £200

24 months at £15 = £360

Total cost is £560.

Perhaps it's not that much more, but if the upfront cost was higher or the monthly cost was more then it'd be less appealing.

You are also "locked in" for those 24 months.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Orange's 3g network is ****, I'm with them with my iPhone (It's not the phone with the antenna issues, it's Orange) and I'm hoping they change some part of the contract so I can get out of my contract that has about 2 years to run.

Not only that but the iPad isn't really meant to leave the house, it's surposed to be a device that sits on your lap in the house or office, therefor most people will already have WIFI, so the question is, do you really need 3g on the iPad, or is it simply just a "Just incase" feature?

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Bristol, England.
Orange's 3g network is ****, I'm with them with my iPhone (It's not the phone with the antenna issues, it's Orange) and I'm hoping they change some part of the contract so I can get out of my contract that has about 2 years to run.

Not only that but the iPad isn't really meant to leave the house, it's surposed to be a device that sits on your lap in the house or office, therefor most people will already have WIFI, so the question is, do you really need 3g on the iPad, or is it simply just a "Just incase" feature?
I find my iPhone works very well with Orange. Worked well with my 3G S and now with my iPhone 4. Far better than my O2 SIM anyway AND without the horrid image compression. I was away this weekend - Orange on 2 bars of 3G streamed video better than a maxed out O2 signal on 3G... It'll only get better as the results of the merger with t-mob moves forward.

I guess what I'm saying is don't make such a blanket statement. Maybe for you, it's not working as you expect. But it's not as simple as 'bla bla it's $$$$!'.

There's no way this news could possibly be bad - what's bad about options?

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I surpose it's like all networks, some work better in one area and other work better in another. I'm in the Newcastle area, don't know about you, but here it's bad for me.

Anyway, while you can still get the 3g version of the iPad and pay as you go, I'd rather that. Though I have to say I don't want an iPad, so my view to some maybe pointless.

john9876

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
I find my iPhone works very well with Orange...Far better than my O2 SIM anyway AND without the horrid image compression.
Funny that, Orange in Glasgow/Edinburgh gives sub dial-up speeds on 3G data even with full reception. Completely unusable. O2 on the other hand is pretty good, Vodafone is even better.

No idea what you mean about "image compression":confused:

I suppose it's just coincidence that you live in the town that Orange's headquarters are located in ;)

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
iPad 16GB - £529 outright

Using the lowest upfront price that people have suggested - £200

24 months at £15 = £360

Total cost is £560.

Perhaps it's not that much more, but if the upfront cost was higher or the monthly cost was more then it'd be less appealing.

You are also "locked in" for those 24 months.
You are forgetting one thing in your example. You paid 529 pounds for your iPad but if you want the same 3G service over that 24 months you will still have to pay the 360 pounds won't you? If you don't have the 3G coverage yeah it's cheaper but then you are not comparing the same thing. You are then comparing a wifi only model to a 3G model. If you want the same 3G coverage as the subsidized iPad you wind up paying much more. I wish AT&T offered this because I would have went that way if they did.

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
You are forgetting one thing in your example. You paid 529 pounds for your iPad but if you want the same 3G service over that 24 months you will still have to pay the 360 pounds won't you?
Why would anyone not just tether their iPad to their mobile 'phone?

quickbrownfox

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
England
I've used all five mobile operators in the UK in recent months and have found Orange 3G data largely unusable wherever I seem to be most of the time (London and the home counties). The network often fails to even provide a GPRS (2G) connection. Being locked to Orange, I wouldn't touch this product at any price.

FWIW my experience of 3G data in 2010 is as follows:
Orange: useless 75% of the time
Vodafone: surprisingly poor
T-mobile: surprisingly good
o2: generally decent
3: good

jwpoore

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Sheffield, England
i think this is a good thing and will bring the iPad to the mass market if people dont have to fork out £500~ at the point of sale. VF UK has **** signal everywhere i want to use it, have been surprised by Orange and they are forking out millions into their UK network joint venture with T-Mobile so it can only bring improvements!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.