Orange UK quietly change data usage policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sedgeman, Aug 4, 2010.

1. sedgeman macrumors member

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere or even if it is common knowledge but yesterday Orange UK changed there stance on Data allowance.

Basically - Old tariff stated Unlimited Data * Fair usage policy of 750mb

New tariff states Unlimited Data * capped at 750mb

So, this means that if you go over the data cap on the new contract you'll get charged.
    The old fair usage policy wouldn't charge you but if you go massively over you won't get charged.

If you contact Orange within the next week and say that you were offered the old contract they will still have to give you the old contract

2. karansaraf macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up - will ring them.

Anything in particular I can say to make sure I get what I want?

3. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

That's on the plans that include some extra MMS messages and 'Orange Satnav Maps'.

Looks like Orange are taking a hit :cool:

4. karansaraf macrumors regular

Yeah I just realised that.

So... just looked at the right plan -

iPhone 35 24 months -

Mobile data only 500mb!!

Anything in particular I can say on the phone to make sure I get what I want - ie. 750mb fair usage and NO charge, just a warning if I go over? I've never done this kind of thing before - if people have any tips I'll take them - on the phone with Orange right now...

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

so just to be sure I am on 35 a month 600 mins the website now says 500mb data but originally was unlim data so am I now on that too? not that I use that much data really

6. karansaraf macrumors regular

Just speaking to the guy -

Apparently the 750mb cap has been applied to EVERY person on an iPhone contract, regardless of when they signed up - right from the beginning in November. So you can't stay on your old contract apparently.

And when I told him about the site saying 500mb he said he wasn't sure why it said that, but confirmed with me that *I* was on 750mb.

7. NoSugar macrumors newbie

Is this for new or existing customers?

When I took out my i4 contract (June) it said Unlimited Data (Fair Usage 750mb).

It also says in the Your Orange App:

I have received no notification of Orange about the cap change on my contract.

I mainly went with Orange due to the unlimited (subject to fair usage) data.

Speaking to customer services didn't get me anywhere.

It is potentially quite a big change to my contract is the cap is imposed.

8. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

Won't affect me as I'm on a normal contract (capped at 500MB) rather than an iPhone contract.

But for those who may be affected, double check your contract and how exactly it is worded. Then check with Orange to see what you are on now. If they have changed it, then legally you have the option to cancel the contract with no penalty charges.

9. NoSugar macrumors newbie

The main bit between their terms and conditions are:

Effective till 3rd August 2010
    Effective from 3rd August 2010
    The major difference is they are now charging 60p each day you're over the limit.

It's quite a big change from having your speed limited to being charged on a daily basis.

10. karansaraf macrumors regular

Yeah, that's what the guy on the phone said. They used to just cripple your mobile data speed, but now, effective for ALL Orange iphone customers (new AND existing), there is a cap and your speeds are not limited, you are just charged 60p/day for any amount extra. This means if you go over your limit, you can use 1mb or 1000mb each day and are still charge 60p regardless.

It's a hassle, but what I've done is found out when my billing date is (15th), which is when my 'month' ends and new minutes/texts/data is rolled onto my contract, and I will basically just reset my usage stats in the settings on my iphone so I know how much I've spent since the last billing date. Obviously I won't remember to do it on the same date every month but it works well as a rough estimate.

11. st1ngo macrumors member

Just checked my contract details online and it states I am subject to 750 mb

Having said all this theres no way ill even ever use half of that so makes no odds to me if it ends up reduced

12. marky-gee macrumors newbie

I thought that operators had to tell there customers before any changes in contact, or it's classed as a breach.

13. synagence macrumors 6502a

Its how i managed to get out of a t-mobile contract .... if they change the terms of an ongoing contract you have the right to object if they have a materially negative impact on you... like if they introduced a change in the voicemail call rate or made something that was free cost

But that was in the T&C's of T-Mobiles contracts .... read your small print very carefully around the rights of the mobile operator to change the terms and what remedies you have ...

14. marky-gee macrumors newbie

So I wonder if us orange um users had a case here to object?

15. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Possibly, depends on what was in the T&C's before.

16. Deanoaka macrumors member

I actually work for Orange in a retail store and I'll tell you what we were told. Apologies if you have been told differently and obv, information is always varied dependant on who you speak to but this comes directly from a sales mail to staff in retail. Don't shoot the messenger :D

1) Anybody who signed up before tuesday on an 'Unlimited' Data plan (750mb Fair Usage) will stick on that plan, regardless of what the new plans are.

2) New customers who signed up from Tuesday onwards on a iPhone standard plan will have 500mb of data to use. When you reach 400mb, you will get a text to let you know you are close to the limit in which case you have two options. The first is that you will be charged 2p per mb untill you hit 30mb (60p) which is the maximum you can be charged in that day, or you can pay for an extra 500mb (£5) or 1GB (£10)

3) iPhone extra plans are 750mb and the higher end tariff prices are 1GB. These do include 50 MMS and Sat-Nav (Tethering also from £60 I think, cant remember the price)

4) In a mail to all staff, Orange told us that they were losing alot of money with customers not using anywhere near 500mb of data and were paying alot to data centers when they arn't needed. Thats why this change has been implemented.

If you wish to change to one of the new plans, you can do on the same price as you are currently on or higher (eg. Old £35 pm to the new £35 extra plan to get the extras obv :D)

I don't see why they made these changes, it was working fine before and it's not as if they don't make enough money anyway, they have just bought T-Mobile for god sake!!!!

17. karansaraf macrumors regular