Orange UK refusing to give us MicroSIM's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ParishYoung, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

So the iPhone 4 pre-orders started this morning.

I was lucky enough to just miss all the technical Apple.com up's and down's and have in fact received my confirmation email for In-Store pickup next week.

So to relax I've been watching the Apple Keynote from last week and reading through everything I already know from Apple's iPhone page. When I was reminded that the new phone will require a MicroSIM.

"We needed the space" said said Steve.

So I called Orange (who I have an existing account with) to see if they would be kind enough to send me a MicroSIM that I can move my account on to ready for use with the new phone next Friday.

As is standard for Orange Customer Service I had to speak with half of India before I was passed through to someone who could help me properly. Of course by properly I mean that I still needed to explain everything to them from scratch before they understood that i just wanted a replacement SIM card.

First of all I was advised that (you'll like this) "the iPhone was cancelled at 8 o'clock this morning". I dropped the phone laughing when she said that. When pressed though she said that Apple had ordered all the networks not to release any information or accept pre-orders. Interesting. We'll have to wait and see on that bit.

However when we got passed that she did tell me that they WILL NOT be letting customer's have a MicroSIM unless they do one of the following

• Start a new account / number
    • Upgrade properly through them, Apple or another dealer
    • Buy on PAYG

She was telling me I should cancel my reservation with Apple, wait for Orange to release details (she's expecting them later today), and then upgrade as normal.

I tried to explain to her that I don't wish to "upgrade" in the normal sense. I'm happy with my tariff, and the state of my account (ie out of contract), and I just want a MicroSIM, but they were having none of it. She was going on about iPhone tariff's and i HAVE to change to one and all this. She said the iPhone (3G or 4) wont work without an iPhone tariff, which I quickly dismissed saying that's rubbish and not true. I was talking to her on an iPhone with a non-iPhone tariff.

So it looks like O2 and the others could end up with more iPhone customer's if Orange don't pull their finger out and change this policy.

What do you guys think?

2. deanj macrumors newbie

Good job you can just cut down your old sim card to fit then. And if you need to use it again in a normal phone just use the adapter. :)

3. donbenjy macrumors 6502

yeah check youtube for some guides on how to cut a normal one down to size (I would order a new, regular sized SIM just to practice on though!)

Its interesting if Apple have told the networks to not release information or take preorders! I just thought the networks were being typically annoying. (Though she clearly wasn't the most knowledgeable representative if she thought the iPhone had been cancelled!)

4. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

the new phone will come with a microsim. You just need to call orange and give them the number.

5. ParishYoung thread starter macrumors 6502a

But then it gets processed as an upgrade and my contract dates are reset. I don't want this.

Also, they will force me to change to an iPhone talk plan. I don't want this either. My existing plan is better.

It's better because I am a former Orange employee and currently enjoy a discounted package. This discount remains for life - or until I change my talk plan. Hence I don't want to change.

6. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

Hi, curious as to why you think the new phone will come with a micro sim?

I HOPE it does but as far as I can see on the apple site it dosn't mention coming with a sim :rolleyes:

7. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

I guess it works differently in the UK. In the us, if we bought the iphone unsubsidized we can just call up and have them do a device change, or get a new sim for a low cost (under 10 bucks.) Also every iphone since the original has come with its own sim card in the us.

8. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I see, actually come to think of it my origianl iPhone came with an AT&T sim.

If only the Uk would make it as easy as to swap the device over to the sim :(

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You're forgetting one major thing though. iPhone 4 is being sold SIM-Free not PAYG. In other words...Apple has no obligation to supply you a SIM.

10. jonnyb macrumors 65816

I wouldn't worry too much about all this nonsense at the moment. I spoke to a less than clued up Orange customer service rep yesterday who insisted that the iPhone 4 didn't take Microsims and that my current Orange contract couldn't be transferred to an iPhone 4.

So, to force a reaction, I called back and asked to be put through to retentions and asked for my PAC code. The woman asked why and I said I'd been told I couldn't have a microsim for my current contract. She said categorically that wasn't true and that when I had my iPhone 4 I should call back and request a microsim.

Just to be sure I called back a few minutes later and spoke to a third guy who confirmed I could transfer my current Orange contract onto a microsim for use in my new iPhone 4.

The alternative, as far as they're concerned, is that I could simply end my current 30 day iPhone sim-only contract and go to another provider who is willing to give me a microsim. Orange lose.

Or I just cut my current sim down to size.

Either way it won't make any difference - it would be pointless of Orange to refuse to do this.

11. vito macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have spoken to multiple folk at Orange regarding the issue in the end the supervisor said Orange don't like people buying handsets and placing their SIM cards inside without the purchase of handesets, he clearly contradicts himself as Orange advertises SIM Only plans which can be used with any device.

I'll just cut mine, I'm on the monthly plan with iPhone support an additional £10 per month I think.

12. pmillington99 macrumors newbie

I am planning on buying an iPhone sim free from apple as it works out cheaper because I am on an older plan. After reading numerous threads on here I contacted orange and had the same problem. Orange told me they would send me a microsim but only if I paid £10 for the iPhone internet bundle which is different again to what you have heard (vito) I think I will just cut mine if I have no joy tomorrow.

13. deanpm macrumors newbie

I've just called Orange UK to request a microSIM for my new iPhone 4. They are sending the new SIM by post immediately without any additional charges or changes to my existing contract. Looks like they're doing the Right Thing™ now.

--
    Dean

14. Angliaranger macrumors newbie

Angliaranger

Hi Dean,

How did u manage to get Orange to send out the microSIM without the additional amount of £10.00? They are such rip offs, they forced me to downgrade from 1200 minutes to 900 and still pay a tenner additionally for the iphone4. They gave me this story that if I dont do this, my wi-fi on the iphone will not be activated. Can this happen?

Please advise,
    AR

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

16. Chronolemon macrumors newbie

Here's something rich!

Orange won't send me a microsim because they say its new technology and they cant transfer my contract over. well heres the shocking twist. i had my phone in for repair recently and in the box with the temp replacement, (retailing at £9 with no camera or internet or apps or anything special) had an adapter to put the microsim into the old phone. hmmmm new tech...? i think not. for the record i kept the adapter after giving the phone back :p

17. LinMac macrumors 65816

You can always cut the sim. It isn't really that hard.