Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I've known about this company since 2006 - and from what I remember, their customer service is incredible. Now I'm looking to up my sound system and also need a pair of flat, relatively neutral and revealing sound speakers, and I think these may be the way to go. Superb sound quality from the reviews out there, and I just wanted to share with MacRumors as they have a beautiful design and Made in U.S.A build that would match any high end DAW setup.

http://www.orbaudio.com/AboutMod1XandMod2x.aspx

These guys supposedly were employees from Anthony Gallo (similar concept, outstanding reference grade sound quality that I've heard first hand and are carried in high end HiFi stores) so that's where they get their philosophy and design principle from.

Anyone here have them or heard them? If I do get them I'll report back :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've known about this company since 2006 - and from what I remember, their customer service is incredible. Now I'm looking to up my sound system and also need a pair of flat, relatively neutral and revealing sound speakers, and I think these may be the way to go...

If that is really your goal, "flat, relatively neutral and revealing sound speakers" then buy a pair of studio monitors.

Look maybe at the Yamaha HS8 and HS8S.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS8

But do you really want "accurate" speakers? Maybe what you really want is tiny speakers with a unique look.

One thing to look out for is the crossover point to the sub. It needs to be very low, such that you can't localize the sub. Ideally it should be below 60Hz, 40Hz is far better.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
If that is really your goal, "flat, relatively neutral and revealing sound speakers" then buy a pair of studio monitors.

Look maybe at the Yamaha HS8 and HS8S.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS8

But do you really want "accurate" speakers? Maybe what you really want is tiny speakers with a unique look.

One thing to look out for is the crossover point to the sub. It needs to be very low, such that you can't localize the sub. Ideally it should be below 60Hz, 40Hz is far better.

Thanks for your reply.

There's a plethora of reasons can affect the purchasing decision of a monitoring system.

I don't have the space for anything with a 5" or larger woofer. So there goes 90% of studio monitors.

These have been used in Abby Road's studio for vocal monitoring, set between the B&W 800's used for everything else there.

As for the sub, that's generally right, with a few exceptions. I used to have KRK monitors before, crossed over at 60Hz, and it sounded great as you can imagine. Now I'm actually using Bose Companion 5's that I bought before I was looking for a dedicated monitoring system - and thought I'd try them for production, and at least for the moment, they're fantastic. The research and engineering that goes into the sound Bose produce's is insane, and they really pull it off. Eventually I'll probably look into either Genelec Or Yamaha monitors on dedicated stands with a dedicated audio interface.

- While the Bose aren't necessarily the most accurate or flat, they're excellent quality and that's fine for now. Revealing, full sound spectrum, excellent imaging and separation. When I need something more, I'll probably go with studio monitors.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks for your reply.

There's a plethora of reasons can affect the purchasing decision of a monitoring system....

That kind of what I was saying. I meant do you have the reasons sorted out. Now it looks like what you want as tiny, good looking speakers with "good enough" sound. Then there will fill the bill.

But at first you said "accurate"

I've always said there is not "best" just "best fit to your needs" and the first step is to identify your needs. Most people skip this first step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.