Orb to iPhone - on the fly downscale?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulobrad, May 24, 2008.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

When viewing orb content in a web browser on a PC you can select flash/3gp/rm etc as the format of viewing and can play pretty much any format.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to me as though it's doing some on the fly change of format as well as some down scaling to make it easier to stream.

However, when I view content from Orb on my iPhone it will only play certain file types and those it will play take ages to load as it is the full quality video it is trying to stream.

Is this correct? Anyway of improving quality of streams to the iPhone?

Cheers

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

hmm....

Yes very true AFAIK iPhone does on-the-fly conversion and stores temporarily but no way to change quality.

sad really.

3. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

Not seen any conversion from me, mp4s play fine but divx encoded avi I get a message on the iPhone saying it can only play certain files.

When viewing on a standard browser it will play anything in real player, quicktime flash etc...

Not being able to change quality for the device is a big bummer, even on WiFi it makes watching a decent quality film very hard as it downloads far too slow.