Orbicule & Undercover is useless if you have a password...no?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Davmeister, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

If you have a password for your account on Mac OS X, then the thief cannot login (yes?). So Orbicule cannot be used, rendering it useless (yes?). If you have a firmware password set, they cannot erase the hard drive (yes?). So the best they can do is replace the hard drive, thereby removing Orbicule.

If you have a password on your mac, what is the point in Orbicules Undercover software?

Or am I missing something big time.

Thanks

Tom

2. systimax macrumors newbie

Yes, I believe you are missing something. You enable the guest account. The person who has the laptop logs into the guest account.

Also it runs as a root process so I believe but am not sure that most of the funtions work sitting at the logon screen except the pictures and what not.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Most thieves don't do this. If you make a Guest account with no password and restrict the applications to a browser (and whatever else), they'll almost always use it. Undercover works.

No, it has to be connected to the internet.

4. SicMX macrumors member

Might have to give this software a try, looks really impressive!

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/mac/

Btw, can anyone with a Snow Leopard DVD change the administrator password when they boot the computer up with it, or does it have to be the same actual DVD that came with the computer?