Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morechicken

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Vienna, AUT, EU
I'm never using Orbitz now. A room is a room. I don't want to be shown the higher priced stuff just because I'm on a Mac.

I'd rather spend my money on fun things on my vacation not a hotel room.

Same here. I don't want to care what System I use when I enter a webpage.

----------

I would pay extra to stay in a hotel that did not have Windows or Android fan bois any day.

Says a Apple Fanboi...

Crayo

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2003
Same principle works in online advertising: it is a statistical fact that users can be profiled by the hardware and software they use.

I am not talking about tracking cookies on your browser, which are irrelevant nowadays, or anything like that, but simple hardware, OS, browser, geographical location or combinations of those.

For example, Windows/PC users tend to fall more often to ads that makes outrageous promises, like "you've won this product!", while significant portion of Mac users never go for those.

There are also differences in what kind of price range can be advertised - Mac users prefer to buy (and see ads of) more expensive premium products while PC users statistically prefer cheaper. Professionally designed graphics and ads work better for Mac users while simpler (read: bad design/ugly) ads work more often for PC users. The list goes on.

I'm not saying these things to offend anyone - just stating statistical fact that different people use different products which leads to the fact that different people prefer to buy different things. Nothing personal.

I'm quite familiar with this issue because I recently worked on a project for major online advertising platform to build system which optimizes ad feeds based on research done on the subject. For example, profiling by Mac vs. PC has been a great success for them.

I'm not surprised to see that online retailers like Orbitz are doing the same. If you have trouble with that.. I suggest you just get over it. :)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The question we have to consider is:

Would a Mac user, when asking about the cheapest room, actually want the one in the basement, or would they really want to make sure they had the option of being able to use "Windows" in the room :D

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Really excellent troll. I give it 5 stars.

???

what was so hard to understand about my statement?

obviously the early adopters of retina macbook pro have a higher household income than the average mac users, since we get diluted with a lot of students buying the 13 inch stuff.

in other words, if companies want to attract business from their best potential customers, they should optimize their site for the retina display (embed high resolution images for example) to attract them.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Really excellent troll. I give it 5 stars.

sorry it just occurred to me that you were referring to my hotel opinion? to me five star hotel means the best. a "best" hotel does not just earn its five stars from simply having a long list of tangible amenities like sawing kit, 3 flat panel tv including inside bathroom mirror (i.e. signature mgm or venetian), pool, etc.

Best also means service, location (park hyatt beaver creek), view (best spot on a beach e.g. ritz carlton central park and ritz carlton half moon bay), restaurant quality (any michelin star?), wine cellar, etc.

Trump New York SoHo charged me $600/night and was supposed to be "five star" but the carpet had stain, AC unit was frozen. When the engineer came to repair, he wore his shoes into the room without asking if he should take off before entering.

A real 5 star hotel "anticipate" the need of its guest. For example, if you go for a morning jog while staying at Peninsula Hong Kong (a true 5 star hotel), the valet will see you running back and radio the doorman so at the moment you reach the door, the doorman would open the door for you and hand you a bottle of water. (This is true.)

A real five star hotel also strives for perfection in quality. For example, napkins at dinning table should be free of lint (which will get stuck to ur wool pants). You shouldn't find crayon under your bed. The remote control shouldn't feel "grease." The carpet or surface of furniture shouldn't be in dark or busy colors, because they hide how dirty they truly are. In fact, you should be able to see how clean they are. Soap and Shampoo shouldn't be generic brands. (Ritz Carlton's Bvlgari is my favorite.)

A lot of hotels in Las Vegas have crazy list of amenities but really lacking in its quality and service. Even top lodgings such as Wynn fall victims to this. After all, when you only charges a $299/night room, you are going to have patrons who wouldn't take care of your room (think 6 guys sharing a room for a bachelor party). However, if you want to enjoy true 5 star experience at Wynn or Bellagio, you can request for Tower Suite rooms where it's separated accessed/managed. You will get a much better experience that deserve its 5 star rating.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Fine, but they ALL do it. See that banner ad up at the top of this forum? <snip> I guarantee you that right now my banner ad is different than the one being shown to you.

Oh yeah? I bet someone's trying to sell you a 6,000mAh battery for an iPad for 75€ right now!

Steve

----------

Lets pretend you and your friend go to a car dealership. You get quoted a fair price. Your friend gets quoted a higher price (pick a reason, female, old, young, whatever) and must haggle to get it down because they don't need the super expensive floor mats. When confronted on the issue the person claims that data shows that female, old, young, whatever people prefer expensive floor mats.

A better analogy is that an elderly couple go in to buy a particular model of car and get shown the 'luxury' model first, as the dealer's data shows that *usually*, elderly couples prefer this model. They are welcome to buy another model.

A young man goes in and is shown the expensive high-performance model, for exactly the same reason. Again, he is welcome to buy another model. The 2 customers may even decide to buy the model usually chosen by the other customer and will pay the same price - no haggling and no increased cost involved.

It's basic salesmanship - if you think the customer will like the more expensive model, then offer/show them that model first. You may not like it, but to believe it doesn't happen is naive.

Steve

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
That's computerism.

:D:D:D:D Seriously Nice One!

----------

Seriously:roll eyes:

Spend More money on Hotel Room, maybe when i get rMBP and I'm worried about proper security n poor internet facilities.

Right now am saving up for my next phone(i), trust me when i say I'm cutting down stupid expenses;)

fairyliquidizer

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2003
Universal Mac Tax....

Every web site should produce premium quotes for Mac users as they are less price sensitive than PC users. In fact the Universal Mac Tax should be extended to supermarkets and the high street (main street).

It would be nice to imaging that this in turn would improve consumer businesses (cyclical and non-cyclical) generating a return to growth thus ending the global economic crisis.

Is there evidence of what Apple users shopping habits are beyond Apple branded goods and latte?

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I wonder how many ambulance chasing lawyers will now sue over being targeted to pay for a more expensive room.

Let the fun times begin.......

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
this is a no brainer

Do people who don't like to spend money spend less money than those that like to spend money.

All my PC and Android friends buy PC's and Androids for one reason only. They don't want to spend money on software and apps. These same folks would rather spend the night at a motel 6 as they see no value in a nicer hotel

There is nothing wrong with that as they don't see value in the same things as other folks.

It is wise of Orbitz to market based on what people want and are willing to buy

I'll use them next time to avoid the 1 and 2 star recommendations :)
I've been buying used Macs because I can't afford to spend $1700 on a new MBP or even $1,000 on a Air, yet I prefer Macs over Windows computers. At the same time, I prefer to stay at Motel 6 in Vegas. One time, I even stayed at Americas Best across from the MGM.

Kimbie

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
UK
Would be interesting to see how this breaks down in terms of age ranges/business sectors.

I use both mac and PC at work, but when we go away and need a hotel its booked by one of the admin staff who are on a PC.

So while they may say mac users spend more, how many of the PC users are business users, and normally business users have to keep the costs down so go with a cheaper room?

Kimbie

MacBOS

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
New York, New York
I stopped reading by page 3; people are reading to much on this, but the fact of the mater is.

• You still have aces to whatever results a pc gets so its not like there pointing a gun at you and telling you to buy the expensive hotel
  • The hotels the article talks about are just presented to you when you enter the site and wille browsing (depending on whatever parameters you set up)

I dont see how people can get upset about this, there not keeping the cheap hotels from you.

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
Very interesting trend. A deeper study may reveal that Mac owners are simply... more wealthy since they can afford a Mac?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Very interesting trend. A deeper study may reveal that Mac owners are simply... more wealthy since they can afford a Mac?

Those studies may also reveal that Mac users are 80% more vain then PC users ;)

Though to be honest, owning a mac, does not make one rich! Take a stroll outside and see how many ferals own iphones....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.