Order from T-Mobile, or buy outright from Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjb59463, Dec 18, 2014.

1. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    I just recently sold my AT&T 6 plus and paid off my NEXT agreement, and I'm looking to go over to T-Mobile.

I'd like to pick up a 128 GB Space Grey 6 Plus, like I had with AT&T. However, the wait times on T-Mobiles site for that particular configuration is 6-8 weeks.

I was wondering if this was an accurate timeline, and want to find out what some people's experiences have been like ordering their iPhones directly from T-Mobile.

If it really is 6-8 weeks, I might bite the bullet and order from Apple at full price, even though I really don't want to pay that much up front.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If you paid off your next line, why not have ATT unlock and just use that device with atMO?

3. stillcrazyman macrumors 65816

stillcrazyman

I had a similar experience leaving AT$T for T-Mobile.

I would strongly suggest ordering directly from Apple. Especially with a 128G 6 Plus. There are supply constraints and very high demand. AT&T took almost two months to finally lose me as a customer. There are still people who ordered in September who haven't received their Pluses.

I ordered my 6 Plus on 11.21 and received it 12.4. Shipping times may have improved some.

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

it was totally unnecessary for that guy to sell his iPhone.

all he had to do was pay off the device, ask AT&T to unlock it, and once it is unlocked, just walk into the tmobile store, get a sim card , and then port the number over.

having to sell the phone and get a t-mobile phone was totally not needed and a waste of time

i do not understand why he felt he had to sell it.

maybe it was because the old phone was a 16 gig model??

maybe it is profitable to sell it considering the iPhone 6 + 128 is in short supply?

5. mjb59463, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

mjb59463 thread starter macrumors 6502

How is it totally unnecessary? I sold my 6+, and used the profit to pay off my NEXT agreement and leave AT&T.

I then financed an unlocked 6 plus with my BarclayCard at 0% interest and moved to t-mobile. I got my phone this way because T-Mobile pre-orders are taking longer than the Apple Store

So I ended up with an unlocked phone, on the carrier I wanted, quicker than T-Mobile would have provided it, I owe AT&T nothing, and have the option to pay my phone off through financing over 18 months with no interest, which I will end up doing much sooner than that anyways.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

The point is that if you had paid off your Next balance upfront you could have just had it unlocked and gotten a SIM from T-Mobile and just pay them for the plan and be done paying for a phone. You'd have lost the 18-month interest free period, but given how low interest rates are on savings accounts it would have been cheaper if you had the cash upfront.