Order Macbook with 9C8C screen possible CTO?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by treadstone77, Nov 2, 2008.

1. treadstone77 macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new to Mac and with all the hoopla with the screen deficiencies, I was wondering if you can specifically order a computer with the 9C8C screen?

2. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

nope. There is no way to know what screen it has until you open the box and check yourself.

9C8C screen is only slightly better, both screen are still considered sub-par by the majority of people on this forum.

I have the 8C screen and once calibrated it's actually decent but nothing can be done about the viewing angles and black levels.

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Highly doubtful, unless you happen to know someone pretty far up the Apple ladder.

From what I can tell, there is no documentation on the box as to which screen is inside, which would make it pretty tricky to pick one out.

4. treadstone77 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL. I was thinking about ordering online. Usually when you buy things online you can attach "buyer comments/special instructions."

I was hoping I could put "please give me a computer with the 9C8C panel."

Is that plausible?

And I looked up the manufacturer of the 9C8C panel, AU Op and they are a Taiwanese company.

Compared with LG-Phillips? LG makes some pretty good LCD TVs...

5. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

1. No it is not possible

2. AU Optronics does everything from low end panels tol high end panels

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

Both LG/Philips and AU Optronics make good and bad screens.

7. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

It's not that the screens are good or bad, it is all about cost.

Let's say that the low end AU Optronics screen cost $20 to make and it has bad viewing angles and bad color reproduction. Now I think that type of screen would be perfectly fine in a $400 laptop. But to put that same screen in a $1300 computer is simply unacceptable.

8. treadstone77 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so basically it isn't possible.

So why is there such a difference between the two panels? Or is there a real world difference or just a macrumors perception?

I don't think Apple would ship two different screens that vary that signigificantly in quality?

I'll do some more digging before I buy.

9. treadstone77 thread starter macrumors newbie

True but I think Apple had to cut costs somewhere with the introduction of the new aluminum unibody. I'm sure aluminum milling and machining costs more than slapping together plastic boards with screws.

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Did you read read the comment above that said there wasn't a huge difference between the 2 models of screens? I have seen both and I agree there is very little difference.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

It's interesting, and not surprising, to note that pretty much the majority of micro-analytic discussions about the virtues of one Macbook LCD panel over another are only found here at macrumors, or at forums that link to macrumors. The so called "hoopla" is limited to a few dozen people here, and a small handful of users on other forums.

The rest of the planet seems to be enjoying their new computers.

I, for one, am enjoying mine immensely. The screen is far from perfect, but far from unuseable.

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Wow. You must be special to know what every forum/blog on the internet says and/or what people are saying to each other outside the internet (which many of your posts say only a few are upset which is another lie--give up the fanboyism and be more objective--it will help you with credibility). I have no dog in this fight, but to say it is limited to a dozen people here is being disingenious at best. I have seen many more than that. People have a right to demand better quality in Apple especially when they are spending a premium for it. Many people who bought the new one look at it as a personal shot at them when people are critical of it. That is funny to me. I love my Blackbook and people bash it all the time on here, but I don't get all upset. Apple could of done better on it and I'm the first to admit it. The screen on both the previous gen and this one are horrible (to anyone that isn't biased or has even a cheap $700 PC to compare it to) for the price we pay for them.

As I have said a 1000 times, if it wasn't for OS X I wouldn't buy an Apple. Their QC has gotten worse over the past few years and I have owned Apple products since 1996 (many on here have owned them longer).

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yeah

I used supercal to adjust the contrast of my screen and I'm very very happy with it. Granted, i don't plan on doing any video editing, photo editing, or any related work on this computer. But I actually think the screen looks excellent after using a calibration utility on it. Incidentally, it's the 9C89 model.

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I'm not special at all. Google is special. Google shows there are about 15 webpages mentioning the 9c8c panel, and most of those results link to macrumors. And I never said a dozen...I said a few dozen; considerable difference. Hey I had a defective one too. Took it back. New one is good. Some have been luckier, some not so lucky. It happens with EVERY manufactured product. All I'm saying is, those who nitpick the hardest can be found here on macrumors, myself included. And that means that you should take ALL reports found here, good and bad, with a pinch of salt. And that thinking of asking Apple to send you a Macbook with a specific LCD panel is a pretty good sign that you've spent a bit too much time reading the grumpy posts of the unlucky ones.

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

To be honest with you, since you are new to Mac and these forums obviously, if you stick here at MacRumors too long when considering the purchase of a new Mac you would NEVER BUY A MAC EVER! Period. MR has some very talented people here who will go out of their way to help you get started on how to use your Mac, however these same talented people are also very geeky and nitpicky and although they love Apple's products, nothing Apple makes will ever merit a complement from these same people.
    In fact, even if the Apple product looks "perfect" these same people will find major faults with it and make it out to be the worst crap on the street.......BUT.....these same people will still buy Apple's products.

That being said go see for yourself a Macbook in person. Don't worry about 9C89...blah blah blah. As others said, you can't request a specific LCD model number, that's the same as requesting a specific motherboard number. Just understand that for any brand of PC you've ever owned they too have most likely used different model numbers of the same part in their assembly lines as long as these parts meet the required specs.

16. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Ignorance is bliss. Don't go into the details of components... lol

17. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

+1. I'm using my 9C89 panel right now and it's fine, even better after loading some of the colour profiles from the calibration thread. My old MBP was a bit sharper, but it was also $2k more.

While I don't doubt some people have genuine defective screens, I think a lot of people are assuming the screens are crap without actually seeing them.

FWIW I couldn't tell the difference between a 9C89, 9C8C and a MBP screen, they all looked fine to me.

18. rs7 macrumors regular

19. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

open terminal and type "ocd".

20. watergun macrumors regular

System Preferences - Displays - Color - Color LCD - Open Profile

Scroll down to row #13 - 'mmod'

You can read Manufacturer and Model.

In this case, they are talking about Model '00009C8C'

21. everlast77 macrumors regular

Do u like to post your new color-profile here so that I can test it ?
    I also have a 9C89 panel

//Everlast

22. djrobx macrumors member

I ordered two macbook aluminums - one for myself and one for a client. Mine is the more expensive 2.4ghz backlit keyboard model, and came with the 9C89 screen. The client's is the less expensive base model and came with 9C8C. I have the two laptops sitting on my desk side by side and there is virtually no difference between the screens. They both exhibit severe wash-out issues when the screen is tilted at pretty much the same angles. They both appear about the same in terms of color and brightness. So, don't even bother trying for 9C8C.

I've owned a lot of laptops, plenty of budget Dells, Toshibas, and HPs, and I've NEVER had a screen that this sensitive to viewing angle. Dark backgrounds always have a "gradient" appearance to them because there is no viewing angle where the whole screen has uniform contrast. I don't mind the glossy screen but the viewing agle problem forces you to look at it at a very exact angle, which lessens your options if there's something causing a glare.

The colors are vivid enough, and the display is bright enough, but this black level issue is horrible. It's a true shame that apple would take such a beautiful piece of equipment and put such a low grade display in it. I'm really struggling trying to decide whether to live with it or return it, because I otherwise love this laptop.