iPad mini Order Now or Wait

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EezyE, Nov 23, 2013.

1. EezyE macrumors regular

I really want a retina mini but I have a question. With all of the posts here about the screen being yellow in spots and light bleeds, would it be advisable to go ahead and order one now or would it be better to wait until after the first of the year and hope the screen quality consistency is better?

I do not live near an Apple store and our local stores are either hit or miss or haven't gotten any in at all. I would be ordering from Apple.

Am I over thinking this?

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

If you trust that this forum is representative of all new iPad owners you would be afraid to ever own an Apple product. go get you a new iPad and enjoy it.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For what it's worth, I've had every single iPad except for iPad 4, and now I have the Air but am skipping the rMini. All my iPads have been purchased on launch day or ordered online the moment online orders went live. I've yet to have an unsatisfactory screen.

I don't doubt that there are iPads with defective screens out there, but reading macrumors make it seem that they are more prevalent than they actually are.

4. Fissure macrumors 6502

Get one now, if you do don't go through and test the screen etc., just use it and if it looks fine to you then keep it.

People are nuts here sometimes. For me personally I examine for dents and dings, anything physically wrong. I also check for stuck pixels but that's it.

If I noticed drastic yellowing or image retention through normal use then ya I'd probably return it but I'm not going to go through the endless battery of tests to split hairs trying to figure out if the thing is displaying something I won't notice otherwise.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And then people wonder why I get worked up about all the hyperbole around here. The reality distortion field surrounding some posts impacts people.

Apple has somehow managed to sell 170 Million iPads despite all the defects talked about here. I wonder how that is even possible. Reading some posts around here its a miracle Apple is still in business... :rolleyes:

Don't pay attention to all the exaggerations and negativity. Go buy yourself an iPad and enjoy it. Not only does Apple make great products, they also have the best customer service in the industry and will take care of you if you are not satisfied.

Just try not to return it seven times, ok? ;)

6. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

People here are undoubtedly pickier than the average consumer, but that does NOT mean there isn't an issue. If you're happy with yellow tinted screens on one half of your screen, more power to you. I frankly expect a device with a screen that's on par with a cheaper Android device or a Kindle.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And it is your right to expect more. If the device doesn't meet your expectations, Apple will refund your money 100%. Being "afraid" to buy an iPad is.... unnecessary. Wouldn't you agree?

8. Fissure macrumors 6502

I agree, if you notice it through normal use I'm with you, return it for another. Just don't put it under an electron microscope looking for misaligned atoms.

9. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I agree, but I'm also sympathetic to people who just don't want to go through the hassle of playing the exchange game. Even harder for OP since it looks like his only option is online. Even though we have the right, I know from personal experience it can be sort of embarrassing going through the process of returning items even though rationally speaking there is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So.... what? Is the alternative not to buy at all for "fear" it could have one of multiple maladies reported here? :confused: What is your advice for the OP then?

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Buy now. The overwhelming odds are that you'll get a perfectly functioning iPad mini with no major or even minor issues. In the rare event that you get a lemon (it can happen with ANYTHING you buy), exchange it for another.

Short version...buy now.

12. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

OP, notice that most everyone posting here about "defects" are those who crank up brightness to 100% in a pitch dark room to see if the screen is "perfect."

I ordered one, and I have no doubt it will be fine for everyday use.

Also, the obligatory "Stay hungry, stay foolish." - Steve Jobs

Stay hungry = always keep wanting something more, something new.
    Stay foolish = always keep an open mind, never think that you know everything.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

You only mentioned a want; but do you "need" an iPad now? If you are not missing the need for one, you can live without one for a few more months. You can then wait and see what happens; if there is a subsidence in the complaints - you can go in and purchase one with peace of mind.

14. EezyE thread starter macrumors regular

No, I don't have to have one but would like to have one. I like the mini's form factor but wanted a retina display.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm just going to go for it. My wife's iPad and our iPhones have had perfect displays so I'll go ahead and take a chance.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's great! Good luck and hope you find one you like. :apple: