Order of the apps in the app switcher

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by CutterSlade, Jun 2, 2014.

1. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

Am I the only person who has a problem with the ordering of the apps in the app switcher?

Whenever I open an app, it goes to the leftmost part of the list and therefore their ordering changes. I would expect if I open an app that was 5th in the list and then want to move to the one that was the 4th, I should be able to do it with one right swipe (to go one left). But I cannot do it because once I opened it, it has become the first app in the list. Isn't this behavior weird and counter-productive?

I hope that I managed to explain what I mean properly.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I would try to use a little bit complex workflow to introduce my idea, as I also want to know the detail of how this app switcher would work.

I have a word document waiting for adding massive information from Web, Excel spreadsheet, and twitter. I may need to play game during work for a quick relax. After completing the word document, I then need to use PowerPoint to write a draft presentation, and I need to copy some other materials from web, word document, and excel spreadsheet.

I have all five apps opened before. Now here is the app location in switcher before starting works.

1 - Safari.
    2 - Word.
    3 - Twitter.
    4 - PowerPoint.
    5 - Excel.
    6 - Game.
    I will use those number to indicate those apps.

Now I start working.

a. Writing documents. 2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
    b. Search web in Safari. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
    c. Go back to word. 2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
    d. Find something on twitter, and go back to word to paste it. 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6.
    e. Play games. 6, 2, 3, 1, 4, 5.
    f. Go to excel to copy some data, and paste them to word. 2, 5, 6, 3, 1, 4.
    g. Go to PowerPoint to write presentation. 4, 2, 5, 6, 3, 1.

From this small case, I think:

A. The most recent used app will always be in the first place.
    B. The second recent used app will stay in the second place.
    C. Other not used apps will retain their original tile order.

Hope you can find something interesting from it.

3. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

If the list "shifted" over, the way you prefer, what would happen to the more recent apps on the list? Would they just fall away? How would the switcher "know" when you want the list to shift over, and when you want to retain the recent apps in the order you used them?

IMO, the app switcher isn't very useful beyond the 2 or 3 most recent apps – in the time it takes to scroll further than that, you could just open the app you want from the homescreen.