Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
savar said:
I gotta disagree right there. CompUSA is hell on earth and I will certainly never buy anything there again unless its steeply discounted.
Can you elaborate please? Did you have a bad experience with their extended warranty :confused:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
savar said:
I gotta disagree right there. CompUSA is hell on earth and I will certainly never buy anything there again unless its steeply discounted.
My problem with CompUSA is that I seldom have three hours to make a purchase, which seems to be the approximate time it takes to actually buy anything there.

Every time - every time - I have gone (which is seldom, usually just frequently enough to have forgotten my previous bad experiences), I have been dissatisfied with the level of customer service. Can't find something mentioned as "in stock" on the website. Can't locate a staff member to find it for me. Can't get advice worth anything from any member I do snag. Often get shuttled between staffers.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
jsw said:
Every time - every time - I have gone (which is seldom, usually just frequently enough to have forgotten my previous bad experiences), I have been dissatisfied with the level of customer service.
It's a different story at the one here in Fort Myers - probably because it's new. When I bought my son's iMac I just picked up the box off the floor display and walked it up to the counter. I also bought my 23" Cinema HD Display there during the Tiger event. One of the Apple rep's actually climbed up the ladder and picked out a good one for me - no dead or stuck pixels :p I also bought an iPod for my younger son and as with anything else there for me it was an easy purchase. I've been satisfied, then again, I haven't had to deal directly with CompUSA customer service for anything...

DonP

macrumors member
May 19, 2005
Socal
update

DonP said:
I'm also about ready to buy an iMac G5 20". Amazon doesn't offer free shipping on computers, at least not the Imac at 36lbs. The shipping to socal would run $31, but no sales tax. I added one to my cart and found the estimated ship date was July 5th, longer than I wanted to wait. So I called the local Apple store and they should have one for me next week. I considered ordering from Apple.com, but I'm not home during the day to sign for it. Can't wait!

Just an update to my original post. Still no free shipping on the iMac, but there's now a $150 Amazon rebate for purchases through 6/7, and the ship date for a purchase today is 5/24. I think I'll go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.