order time from UK store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by riffssco, Aug 19, 2009.

1. riffssco macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

Wonder if you can help.

I want to buy the 13" macbook pro, when I went into the Glasgow store they said it would take 3 days because they don't keep models with ram fitted in stock. Once you buy one they add the ram.

When I tried to buy online they said it takes 9 days because it ships from China, when I mentioned the 3 days form the Glasgow store he said that sounds odd because they should have them with ram fitted.

I wanted to buy the base model with 4 gig of ram - the guy on the phone said that the Glasgow store would sell me the basic 2 gig ram model and then charge me £140 for 4 gigs of ram.

Does any of that sound right or match anyone else's experience?

Do the high street shops normally keep models in stock? I expected to be able to walk away with one pretty much instantly.

I would have thought they would have some of each option waiting to go.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Add the 4GB yourself. It's sooooo easy. Just follow a tutorial in Youtube and buy it from 3rd party (costs about 50£). Never buy RAM from Apple

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I agree with Hell - it's the easiest and cheapest thing to upgrade. You can also take a look at ifixit.com to see the step-by-step.

4. SHIVERINGGOAT macrumors member

SHIVERINGGOAT

I bought a new 15" MacBook Pro on 5th August only thing they did was add iwork to it, I got it 14th August - a bit long if you ask me they did say they came from China.

:)

5. Ixesin macrumors newbie

Mate, get 4gbs of crucial ram from ebuyer (costs £48) and fit it in yourself, it's dead easy, just follow some guides on youtube.

6. riffssco thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips on the ram, anyone have a link on where to buy it, also is there a specific type i.e. number of pins, bus speed etc...

Should I expect to be able to walk away with the base model macbook pro same day or is it normal for there to be a delay?

Thanks

7. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Even if you add something simple like the Apple Remote at order time, it'll be classed as CTO and will have to be "assembled" and shipped from China.

I know because it happened to me.

All that happened was the box got opened and a remote thrown in. That could only happen in China apparently. :rolleyes:

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's strange because when I ordered my iMac and added the remote, remote shipped on same day and arrived few days later and iMac came a week after that

9. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Maybe things have changed... this was about 18 months ago.

In fact I had a problem with the machine and had to return everything for a replacement and even the replacement (again with the remote) was listed as CTO.

I complained and got a free laptop sleeve but really it's stupid to have something like that mean that it has to ship from China as a custom order.

10. riffssco thread starter macrumors newbie

What would the normal shipping be for a base model?? Does anyone know?

11. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

If you order no extras or customisation and Apple states it ships within 24 hours then you should get it in a couple of days I think.

I believe they are couriered from within the UK (or possibly Ireland?).

12. riffssco thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say thanks for the help.

I went back to the apple store in Glasgow and got served by someone different and it turns out they had the base model in stock to walk away with all along. Also turns out that they could have fitted the 4 gigs of ram in an hour. I bought the base model and will fit the ram myself later.

Still annoyed about the various tales I've been told by Apple employees over the last few days and the delay they caused me but at least I now have my new Macbook Pro.