Ordered 17" High Res Refurb - but is it a Penryn?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geordietravllr, Nov 2, 2008.

1. geordietravllr macrumors newbie

Hi all - my first post and this might seem a bit daft but.... I just ordered a refurbished 17" mbp 2.5 GHz / 250GB hdd from the UK Apple site for £1399 and now I'm wondering if the reason it was cheaper than similar refurbs (17" 2.5 High Res but with 200GB 7200rpm hdd is £1629) is that it's an old mermon chip version :eek: :confused:

When I ordered it I'm sure it showed 512MB Graphics but I can't check now as all that info disappears once you place the order.

Is there any way I can be sure tonight (apple tel. support is shut until 9am tomorrow) The product no. is G0F22B/A if that means anything to anybody?

Cheers :eek:

2. geordietravllr thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers pal! :)

So it IS a penryn chip then. It seems like they're charging a lot extra (£230) for a faster/smaller drive. :confused:

Anyway, I'm happy :D Just need to order the WD 320GB now...

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They're charging for the extra (considerable) speed.

4. geordietravllr thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, i realise the hdd is faster alright but I'm sure that's more than the cost to upgrade when they were new. I'm not complaining - I'd rather upgrade to a bigger/faster drive than the 200GB anyway. I'm just suspicious / paranoid about the price difference! :p;)

5. geordietravllr thread starter macrumors newbie

Happy Ending! (sort of)

Just thought I'd do a quick update - I had my refurb delivered after 3 days spent bouncing round in the back of a UPS van while they tried to decide what my address was....:rolleyes:

Anyway, once I booted it up I discovered that the HDD in the one they sent me is in fact the 200GB upgrade!:D lol and I can confirm that it does make a bit of a difference speed wise.

My only dilemma now is that the 'e' key is takes about twice the force to register as the rest of the keys and because I don't want to get a replacement and risk not getting a 7200 drive again I'll have to take it to a local Apple repairer and wait 14 days while they 'fix' it. :p

Every silver lining has a cloud....;)