Ordered: 2.8 GHz Duo Core Extreme (refurb), Received: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'iMac' started by werto, May 17, 2008.

1. werto macrumors newbie

Ordered: 2.8 GHz Duo Core Extreme (refurb), Received: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo

(24" iMac)

The research I have done tells me the extreme chip is newer technology, but that it could also be an overclocked 2.6 chip (or not, as well). Is there going to be any noticeable difference between the two chips when running processor intensive apps? Which chip will be better for resale in 2 years?

I'm going to be running the entire Adobe Creative Suite on this thing, spending the majority of my time in Photoshop.

Also, looks like they gave me the 750gig HD instead of the 500 (pleasant surprise).

I'm just wondering if I should let it go and be happy with what I have.

:confused:

2. G4DP macrumors 65816

If I recall correctly what you got is what you ordered, the 2.8GHz Extreme is a 2.8GHZ C2D.

3. Icarus73 macrumors regular

consider yourself lucky. the 2.8 extreme has a slower front side bus and (may be) overclocked, it takes more energy to power, and in turn produces more heat.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Careful there. 2.8 Core 2 Extreme will read "2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo" under About This Mac. You can discriminate between the new 2.8 Core 2 Duo and the old 2.8 Core 2 Duo by checking the RAM config (800MHz vs. 667MHz).

I bet the OP was unaware that Core 2 Extreme is listed as Core 2 Duo, so it's still the same refurb Extreme model exactly as ordered.

5. werto thread starter macrumors newbie

RAM config is 667 MHz, so I got what I ordered. Thanks for the help guys. :)