Ordered 2 phones - Apple asks me to cancel one

Joe1602

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Background - I ordered two iPhone X’s minutes after the preorder stared. One on Apple store app and one on Apple.com. One is to replace my current phone and the other one to add a new line.

Then today I got this email from Apple:

“Our records show that you have multiple orders in place for your new iPhone X. In order to select the correct order you wish to process, please visit Online Order Status and cancel the orders you do not wish to keep within the next 48 hours.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-MY-APPLE.”

However the first phone has shipped, showing in UPS with a tracking number - arriving 11/3. The second one is arriving Nov 17-24, in processing, no tracking info.

They can’t cancel the one that shipped, right? I guess I’ll have to call them, but I really don’t want to risk getting both cancelled.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I thought there was a two phone limit. They could be sending you this note because they thought maybe you ordered two by accident since each order was placed on a different platform, not together. Something like you started an order online but then it slowed down and you started another on your iPad.

They can recall a package that has shipped. Would they? Who knows. Maybe they just wouldn't ship the second order. Are they both with the same carrier? Something other than TMob? I think TMob is the only phone you can order without an established account so that too could be the problem. You can't order two phones for the same line.

Joe1602

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
They are both Att. And my cc has been charged, so I doubt they can/would cancel the one that shipped.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
I would call. My second got cancelled outright but I think it's because they were both upgrade orders using AT&T Next so clearly I couldn't have both with that. In your case I would think they would let the other one ship as normal once they know your intentions.

orev

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
If they were both ordered using the option of "replace my current phone", then obviously you can't replace one phone with 2 phones. It probably has something to do with that.

Hamma

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
Background - I ordered two iPhone X’s minutes after the preorder stared. One on Apple store app and one on Apple.com. One is to replace my current phone and the other one to add a new line.

Then today I got this email from Apple:

“Our records show that you have multiple orders in place for your new iPhone X. In order to select the correct order you wish to process, please visit Online Order Status and cancel the orders you do not wish to keep within the next 48 hours.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-MY-APPLE.”

However the first phone has shipped, showing in UPS with a tracking number - arriving 11/3. The second one is arriving Nov 17-24, in processing, no tracking info.

They can’t cancel the one that shipped, right? I guess I’ll have to call them, but I really don’t want to risk getting both cancelled.
[doublepost=1509324989][/doublepost]I got the same email today I called Apple and they said new iPhone orders are limited to 2 per person. I ordered 3 for me and my kids wife order one for herself they proceeded to tell me that even if a different person with a different Apple ID ordered using the same CC they would know and limit it to 2 I didn’t have to give my name the call got dropped so we’ll see what happens

agtprvctr

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
I received the same email, but noticed that the email doesn't actually say anything about limits or automatic cancellation? I thought this was more of a reminder in case people ended up ordering more than they meant to in the chaos of the pre-order, but the 48-hour part is a bit worrying.

Hamma

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
I received the same email, but noticed that the email doesn't actually say anything about limits or automatic cancellation? I thought this was more of a reminder in case people ended up ordering more than they meant to in the chaos of the pre-order, but the 48-hour part is a bit worrying.

Guy on the phone from apple said the system will automatically cancel the oldest order in order to be fair to customers.” How do we know your not going to sell them” “ how do we know that are for your family” I said “ how do you know that they are not”
[doublepost=1509330990][/doublepost]Guy on the phone from apple said the system will automatically cancel the oldest order in order to be fair to customers.” How do we know your not going to sell them” “ how do we know that are for your family” I said “ how do you know that they are not”

batcatman

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
Received teh same email, placed one order thru app which gave me a reservation number, then went to website and placed an order. Completed teh reservation order next day. Did a chat with apple, limit is 2 devices/person. He said I dont have to cancel they were just verifying if 1 order was a mistake.

Reactions: Joe1602

Hamma

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
I have 3 ordered 2 from the website 1 from the app. 1 was a mistake but I still want it I’m hoping they don’t cancel one. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what I can get accomplished. I certainly don’t want the 2 my wife ordered with the same CC getting cancelled we are a family of 4 and everyone’s getting one. I don’t have a contact with a carrier so I’m free to add or delete up to 10 lines or go to another carrier.