Ordered 2011 15" and received 17"- worth keeping?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nocky24, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Nocky24 macrumors member

I ordered a replacement 15" from eBay (great price/good ebayer that I'd used before). The one in my sig I sent back to Apple due to crashing issues, which were hard to pinpoint.

However, the eBayer has sent me a 17" 2.3GHz, HR-AG and not the 15". Am I stupid to send it back as I've noticed it'd cost me a good £150-£200 extra for this version. I don't really need a massive amount of portability, just moving it between rooms at home and driving out to the odd place.

The main concern is the pixel count difference and performance in games. I play a few games such as css, left 4 dead, WoW aside from using it for work. I've only had time to load up WoW before work and only noticed an fps difference of between 4-8 fps between 1680x1050 and 1920x1080. I plan on watching a few movies on it though so I think I'd appreciate the full 1080p in that respect.

I ultimately have to make my own mind up I know, but I'd just be appreciative of your opinions :)

2. T4R06 macrumors 65816

be honest, report to the seller that you got the 17.

you said he is a good seller, you might want to ask him instead of shipping it back, maybe he can give another discount for paying the difference..

3. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I agree with what he says. Keeping the 17" would bother me, knowing that I didn't truly pay for all of it.

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

5. Nocky24, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

Don't worry I'm not trying to get away with it or anything. The first thing I did was contact the seller and told him he'd sent the wrong one. He emailed me offering a deal about paying an additional discounted price for the 17" prior to shipping, but I said no just send the 15.4". They sent me the 17".

His feedback is some 20 odd thousand though so it's not some small time seller. It's an international company.

I've reported it to them* as I said, but I fear I'd still need to pay the return costs.

*Edit

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

No way you are on the hook for the return cost. I assume you paid through PayPal or a credit card? If so, you did not receive the item you purchased.

The seller should provide you with a return label for the current item and ship you the correct item. If not, contact your payment method and dispute the charge; that usually motivates a seller to make you whole.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If they try to charge you a penny for returns refuse. You ordered a 15", they sent a 17". The fact that the 17" is worth more is immaterial- they failed to fulfil your order and the expense should be down to them. It's good that you contacted them, but I would refuse to send it back until they have paid you the cost of postage, or sent you a prepaid label. If they won't just tell them they can send someone to pick it up.

8. Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses people, I'm attempting to try and sort out an exchange now without paying the returns cost.

I've had so much bad luck with buying MacBooks lately it's unreal.

9. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Holding a laptop hostage until you get free shipping for it?

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No. It is the wrong laptop. The OP can't legally keep it, but he isn't liable for the cost of it to be returned. Post it back and then ask for a refund and it may take ages because there is no incentive for the company to be quick. Ask them for a prepaid label and they are much more likely to sort it out quickly. Provided the OP is honest and acts reasonably (which it appears he has been) I see no problem.

11. Contiguous macrumors member

I agree, sort it out with the seller. If, down the road, you need repairs or plan on selling, it's going to be awful hard explaining why you have the receipt for a 15" instead of a 17".

12. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I don't know the law in the UK, but for edification for others referencing this thread, in the US you are not obligated to pay for something materially different than you ordered. According the the UCC, it is up to the seller to make reasonable arrangements for the return of the item in question. In this case, it would be a label and a home/office pickup service.

In the US, a buyer would dispute the charge and with the right documentation you would have a chargeback on your credit card. You could then leave the item to sit and wait for the seller to claim it. After a certain period of time, it would be considered abandoned and you can claim it.

13. Athonline macrumors member

Contact him but ask him if you can keep the 17inch. He already charged you 150-200 extra pounds as you said, so I guess you won't need to pay much more to keep it. Ask for a discount or leave it as it is, as it may end up (due to shipping costs, restocking fees, etc etc) the most beneficial solution for both of you! Just be honest and polite :)

I got a 17inch over a 15inch and I don't regret it. It is still pretty portable -more than my friends Alienware 15inch laptops and the 1080P (1920x1200) display is simply stunning.

14. Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

Well it seems there was a deal going on where if I paid an extra £50 over the 15" model I could have the 17". So it's only £50 difference, but on the Apple store there seems quite a big difference in price when I priced up both specs :confused: Anyways he's asked if I just wanted to keep it (no additional costs such as that £50) and he said he'd throw in an extra years warranty. However if I wanted to return it, I'd be able to return for the 15" at no cost and would be reimbursed. Best of both worlds, what would you do? Shame he can't throw in Applecare instead of their own warranty :D

I must say the thought of owning this 17" is growing on me now. I'm guessing better resale value too?

15. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol you guys are all good people.

If it were me I would return it, but only because I don't like the 17" screen size. If I ordered a base 15" and I got an upgraded 15" ... Sorry but I'm keeping it.

Edit: I thought the seller was a retail store and not an individual. I'd never cheat an individual, but retail stores can suck it.

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

So you're ok with ripping of a group of individuals who own a retail store but not a single individual? :rolleyes:

17. darels macrumors member

it's Electronic King co yeah? Just curious, as everything you mentioned says thats him: good price, good service, more than 20 thousand feedbacks and the main thing - ignore what you ask him to do.

18. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

That's right.

19. Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

Yep it is ;) and what do you mean by "ignore what you ask him to do"?

I think I'm going to send it back anyway, seems the right thing to do.

20. darels macrumors member

Thats what i mean. He just doesn't read his costumers emails all the time. Of course i believe it's hard to do that when you have so many of them. Anyway, he is a good seller offering good prices especially if you don't live in US.

21. darels macrumors member

in my opinion you should just sell it and buy 15 inch one, returning process might take longer than this option

22. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Im completely with you lol. And I don't care what others think haha. Honest people get no where quick in this world. Ive tried being honest many times and gotten screwed over. Now, I like to do the screwing.

23. Athonline macrumors member

Yeah! Even if you get their own warranty and not Applecare keep the 17inch! It is 2.3 you said? Is the 15inch 2.3 as well? In any case my suggestion is to take the 17". As I said I did so and nooo regrets! In fact now that I am thinking about it even a 18-19" wouldn't be that bad :p And yeah better resale value if you ask me.