Ordered 2016 MBP. Will I get the 2017 model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahostmadsen, Jun 13, 2017.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

So, I ordered a 2016 15" MBP a few weeks ago, but it's not delivered yet. Will Apple simply ship me a 2017 model instead? The price is the same. I didn't order directly from Apple, so I cannot check the order status.

2. faxe macrumors newbie

faxe

give them a call?

you say a few weeks ago, what took them so long to not ship your macbook yet?

3. cnharris macrumors newbie

cnharris

After having a horrendous 8 months with my 2016 15" MBP including 4 Apple "genius" bar visits resulting in 1 completely replaced machine and 2 completely replaced top parts (bottom half with keyboard), the issue of sticky/semi-functional keys and Touch ID was still ongoing.

This past weekend, my local Apple Store gave me a complete refund to then use on a 2017 MPB 15" purchase, basically a swap.

I can already tell that the 2017 keyboard and Touch ID are much sturdier. I can't tell a huge difference with the new Kaby Lake processor, but I have not maxed out my CPU either.

It is clear that Apple is being pretty soft about taking back 2016 15" MBP's due to all of the issues that have surfaced. While a pain these past 8 months, I give credit to Apple for finally fixing the issue with a new machine.

Hope this helps someone out there.

4. medulla macrumors regular

I've had a similar issue with my 2016. After numerous visits to the Apple Store and being repaired twice they finally agreed to replace it, however I gave it in on the 15th of May for a "replacement", they've now promised me a 2017, and I'm just about to receive it tomorrow, almost a month now without a laptop.
    They told me it'll be exactly with the specifications that I had so I have yet to see what I'll get, the processor on my old one was the maxed out 2.9 then, waiting to see if it'll be the 2.9 or 3.1 for the 2017.
    It's been really frustrating dealing with them back and forth and not having a laptop this long however I'm glad I'll be getting a 2017.

5. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

The order was placed May 22. Apple does not even have an expected delivery date yet. Would they really ship me the 2016 model now after the new model was released -- with the same prices? It doesn't make sense to me. The model I ordered is the base model, with only upgrade a 512Gb drive.

Notice that this is my workplace buying the computer. So, I cannot just return the computer (if it's indeed a 2016 model) and get a 2017 model instead. What Apple ships is what I get.

6. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now Apple confirmed they will ship me the 2017 model instead of the 2016 model. That's good news. I can wait a couple of weeks then.