Ordered 2GB RAM ... only received 1GB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NevSA, Mar 12, 2008.

1. NevSA macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I ordered a Macbook Pro with 2GB RAM.

I received it today and the packing list says:

MBPRO 15/2.5Ghz/1x1G/200/SD/AUS

I take it that the 1x1G means I only got 1GB of RAM? The Macbook box also has a sticker that says the same thing.

I don't want to open the box up at this stage as some vendors get a bit funny about things when you've opened it up when it comes to returns.

Anyone else come across this issue?
    I'll give apple a call tomorrow.

2. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

If you buy a stock model that normally comes with 1GB of RAM and upgrade to 2GB, they usually open it up and install the second GB. Ergo, the details on the box wouldn't change. That said, the packing slip should say 2GB so I'm not entirely sure what gives.

3. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

they better not if they sent you the wrong thing! i'd open it and start it up and see what the system says it's running. if it says 1GB, i bet if you call them they'll just apologize and sent out the correct ram to you, i doubt they'll make you return the whole machine.

4. NevSA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info guys.

Is it possible to check the RAM size without going into MacOS? The laptop is not for me, so I want to leave the OS untouched.

IBM-PCs have a BIOS that shows installed RAM size. Do Macbook Pro's have a similar thing? If so, how do I enter it?

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

No, there's no user-accessible BIOS like on a PC. If you don't want to boot to OS X I suppose you could pop in the Leopard DVD and hold C as you power up and hear the starting chime. Once it boots to the Leopard installer click on the black Apple at the top left then "About this Mac". That will show you the RAM details you seek.

6. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

or just pull the cover off and check the actual ram sticks? either method requires opening the packaging...

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Yes. Hold down command-S when you start up. Once you get a command prompt (or whatever it's called) type hostinfo.

Of course, you should also open it up to see what's in there. That way you'll know if the RAM isn't booting, or actually isn't there.

8. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Just boot the machine.... click on the :apple: in the upper left corner and select "About This Mac"

Its not like you are changing the configuration of the OS....

What Mac did you buy with only 1gig in it? must have been a MacBook, because the MacBookPro comes standard with 2gig

9. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

SDDave2007 is right . . . there is no such thing as a 2.5 ghz MBP with only 1 gig of ram - they never shipped that way.

Unless this is a configuration available in Australia (I'm guessing that's where you are) that we can't get in the U.S. . . . ??? I just checked that website, but the store is being updated at the moment, so I can't access it.

If there is such a thing available where you are, it could be a shipping error. (And you might want to check your credit card to see which machine you were billed for.) Otherwise, I'd guess labeling error. Why don't you start by calling Apple and asking?

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

that's the place to start if you want to avoid testing yourself.

If you don't want to test it before giving it as a gift, just wait until you've given the gift, and then check with the person during setup. Since the memory is exceedingly easy to replace, I wouldn't worry about returning it--you don't need to and they will just give you more memory. This isn't like some BTO option where it's either in there or not to start (which may not exist any more, but for example bluetooth when it was still an option--either the soldered it in or they didn't)

11. Slov macrumors newbie

I had the exact same issue with my order that I received today. My packaging list had the following - MBP 15/2.5/1x1G/200 (USA). I'm currently using it and it did in fact come with 2gb of RAM. It was most likely just a typo.

12. NevSA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone.

Apologies for the late response, has been busy.

I used Heavy Doddy's suggestion : pressed Command-S at startup, and typed "hostinfo" at the command prompt.

It says "Primary Memory available: 2.00 gigabytes"

So that answers the question :)

Thanks again to everyone, your help has been much appreciated.