Ordered 3Gs from Apple, don't want new phone number

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Toadkillerdog, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Toadkillerdog macrumors member

Ordered the 3Gs off the Apple site and got an order confirmation today. It says it will be delivered 18 June and in the small print at the botton says:

iPhone Number & Activation - As soon as your iPhone ships, we'll send you additional information, including your phone number. Once you have your iPhone, activating and syncing it is simple. Just download the latest version of iTunes, connect to your computer, and iTunes will guide you through the next steps.

Of course, I don't want a new number. I want to deactivate my original iphone and activate the new iphone 3Gs with my old number. When doing this with Sprint for example, by activating your new phone your old phone was automatically deactivated. Is the above note from Apple just generic fine print for people who order an iphone new, perhaps? Perhaps the phone number they send me will be my old number...

They do ask during the order process for your old iphone number. I assumed that meant that my old number would be ported to my new phone when I activated it on Itunes. Is this what those who upgraded to a 3G experienced when they bought from Apple online?

2. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

As an existing AT&T customer, you will keep your number.

I have had AT&T for about a decade now - and my number has remained unchanged through about 8 different phones.

When you set up your iPhone through iTunes, it will ask if you are an existing AT&T customer, etc..

3. Toadkillerdog thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reassurance! Thought that I was in for an unpleasant surprise with that little note from Apple.