Ordered 3Gs will my old one keep working for a week after delivery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powerbook911, Jun 8, 2009.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My 3G S is going to be delivered while on the other side of the country, no problem. As long as my current rate plan and old iPhone keep working in the meantime?

It should huh? Surely the new plan and phone don't take over until you open it from the box and plug it into iTunes or something?

Many thanks!

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Correct, your new iPhone will arrive ready for you to connect to iTunes. The new SIM and the IMEI of the new iPhone 3G S will be assigned to your line but not active. You will have to take action to complete the activation process.

Dave

3. Andruw91 macrumors regular

From the Apple email I got when I purchased my iphone 3G S

"iPhone Number & Activation - As soon as your iPhone ships, we'll send you additional information, including your phone number. Once you have your iPhone, activating and syncing it is simple. Just download the latest version of iTunes, connect to your computer, and iTunes will guide you through the next steps."

4. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks. Mine is a bit different in that I already have a phone number. However, hopefully I'll be ok too. :) Thanks

5. Andruw91 macrumors regular

I'm porting a number over from Nextel and I've been able to use my current POS since I ordered my iphone that is going to have this number. I'm positive my current phone is going to keep this number until I activate my new iphone

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

What if I want to use the iPhone 3GS that someone on another line (who happened to be eligible) technically ordered? How do I "take control" of that iPhone and have it associated with my account?

7. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm doing this too. Does the other user have an iPhone?

If so, after the new phone is activated onto their line, take the sim card for the new iphone and put it in the old phone, and then plug it into iTunes. They have their old phone back, but they will have to keep the new Sim card.

For you, put your current sim card, into the brand new 3GS iphone.

If they a non-iphone, I suppose once the new 3GS is activated, just take the sim card out of the 3GS, put that back in their non-iphone phone, since that sim card takes over once you activate that iphone. You won't have to "activate," that phone so to say since it's not an iphone and the only one you'd have to "activate," so to say would be first generation iphones simply via itunes, where you'd go through the AT&T menu system.

Then for you, just take your current sim and put it in the 3GS, should be no issue.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I don't know what's preventing me from understanding this, I've just been so wrapped up in the Pre launch and WWDC I can't think correctly! When the 3GS comes, won't it make me activate it on the line that I ordered it through first? I don't see how it would let me activate it for a line that isn't eligible for an upgrade at the beginning.

Assuming I'm right, I'd need to activate the phone on the other line, sync it with that person's iTunes, then pop my SIM in it after I just set it up with the other SIM?

9. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, thats basically what I said.

You will have to follow through with however you're suppose to activate the 3Gs, and it will have the other person's phone number and everything at first.

THen you will need to take that sim out, once it's activated, and give that sim back to the person who will need it in their old phone. If that old phone is a first generation iPhone, they will have to go through the AT&T activation steps again on their phone via itunes, selecting replace current phone, etc, but if htey have a non-iPhone or iPhone 3G, when they plug in the sim from the 3Gs, they will be good to go.

You will also be good to go, when you plug your current sim, into the 3Gs that you at first activated with the card it came with, again, before passing the card the 3Gs comes with back on to the other person.

However, one important thing, you will have to get AT&T to remove the $30 data package from the other person's line, tell att the iphone broke or something, and that line is back to an old phone. Or, if it is first generation iphone and you plug the 3Gs sim into it, when they do the AT&T steps through itunes, again something that only happens with first gen iphone, they can get back on the $20 data plan that way.