Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
So I ordered an iPhone 5s from apple.com with AT&T upgrade. I found a 64GB verizon model in stores during the delivery of my 16GB 5s from AT&T.

Long story short - My ordered phone arrived, I called AT&T and asked about SIM swapping and stated my account still shows an upgrade is still eligible. They said the contract was reversed. She asked me for IMEI of new 16gb phone, and then said my account now reflects that IMEI to my existing SIM and no new contract is active.

I did the swap to the new phone, she called me back to follow up (i requested), and said all went through well. There is no contract on the account.

I went online and checked the upgrade eligibility and i'm still good to go. WTF? I feel kind of bad?

I now have 2 iPhone 5s - one is a 16GB unlocked ($2) and the verizon 64GB unlocked. I paid full price for the VZW - my 16GB still reflects on my credit card as $199 purchase.

I dont know what to do...i'm either happy or guilty lol

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Your upgrade status will change.

It's just taking some time because you didn't do it through AT&T.

Last edited:

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
You're upgrade status will change.

It's just taking some time because you didn't do it through AT&T.

She noted my account that there should be no contract on my account... I'm sure they will get it to me - if so i'd rather just keep the 64GB and return the 16GB.

She said that the upgrade was pushed through after I ordered the phone, then it was reversed. She said it was all cancelled. After taking this IMEI - it was noted that it wasn't an upgrade on their system.

I think i have gotten a little lucky here? Some users posted a similar experience.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
CONFIRMED!

So feeling guilty - I called AT&T and explained the entire story to him. Everything that happened from the minute I ordered from apple.

He reviewed my account and stated that ALL upgrades and activation's are immediately updated in their system. He asked me for IMEI and some other information to dig into the account.

He said, "We appreciate your honesty. To me it looks like it's just a great day for you. Enjoy your phone."

I asked if this will update in the near future as an upgrade or if it will come back and bite me later - he said nothing will come of it as in our system...you have no contract and it's an instant update on our end.

So - now I have 2 phones. Ebay the 16gb and keep the 64GB vzw? seems like sale listings of 16GB is doing quite well.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
CONFIRMED!

So feeling guilty - I called AT&T and explained the entire story to him. Everything that happened from the minute I ordered from apple.

He reviewed my account and stated that ALL upgrades and activation's are immediately updated in their system. He asked me for IMEI and some other information to dig into the account.

He said, "We appreciate your honesty. To me it looks like it's just a great day for you. Enjoy your phone."

I asked if this will update in the near future as an upgrade or if it will come back and bite me later - he said nothing will come of it as in our system...you have no contract and it's an instant update on our end.

So - now I have 2 phones. Ebay the 16gb and keep the 64GB vzw? seems like sale listings of 16GB is doing quite well.

Lucky you. Sell the 16GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.