Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Hello,

I've recently ordered 8Gb of RAM for my Early 2011 MacBook Pro.
Should hopefully be arriving tomorrow.
Just wondering if there's anything problematic that I could possibly run into? Or is it just a simply process of switching the machine off, removing bottom plate and switching old RAM with new?

Should compliment my recent SSD upgrade nicely :)

Thanks

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I have not got a clue when it comes to this stuff and only recently converted to a MBP and all I did was follow this and a vid of youtube :)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Not even 10 mins work ;)

Turn off, take off back, earth yourself, take out memory, put new in, put back back on, turn on and check "About this Mac" to make sure its recognised the new memory. Viola, welcome to the world of 8gb of Ram

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Hello,

I've recently ordered 8Gb of RAM for my Early 2011 MacBook Pro.
Should hopefully be arriving tomorrow.
Just wondering if there's anything problematic that I could possibly run into? Or is it just a simply process of switching the machine off, removing bottom plate and switching old RAM with new?

Should compliment my recent SSD upgrade nicely :)

Thanks

A word of caution. Be careful with the little tabs on each side that hold the RAM in placbe. It's important not to break one when removing the old RAM and make sure they click in place in the little notches when you seat the new RAM. Just take your time and you should be fine.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Just installed it without any issues. All seems great right now. My MacBook Pro that was once a beast, is now even more of a beast.

Thanks guys :D

mdhansen5

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Colorado

Yep, follow this guide or find a YouTube video to watch. It's a really easy procedure and you'll love having 8GB of RAM. It probably took me a total of 10 minutes, at the most. When I upgraded mine, I did one extra step of resetting the PRAM. It's probably a smart thing to do when switching the RAM, just to be safe. Just hold down CMD+OPTION+P+R right after you press the power button, and then let it go after the screen goes black, after you hear the boot chime. It won't delete anything, and you won't notice anything different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.