Ordered 8gb ram and 500gb XT hybrid, review which first?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenFL, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BenFL macrumors member

Hey everyone, I have 8gb of crucial ram on the way as well as the Seagate 500gb hybrid drive. I was going to install both and not worry about posting anything, but I figured I would install one and give another real world opinion about its differences from the stock stuff.

It is the 2010 15" Base, with 4gb and the 320gig hard drive. If there is interest I will do a review for the ram increase, then the hard drive.
    If you guys dont care I will install both of them tomorrow night and continue on my merry way! :D

-Ben

2. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Funny. I just picked up a 15" Mid-2009 2.53 ghz last week on Craigslist that came with 4gb and already had the 500GB Momentus XT installed. I too have 8gb Crucial RAM which will be here tomorrow. Please do Geekbench scores before and after. My 4gb score (32bit) is 3546. I will post tomorrow once I install the 8gb.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why didn't you get the 750 XT (8GB cache)? Reviews are very positive.

4. robvas macrumors 68030

I'd send the XT back...

You probably don't need 8GB of RAM, either. It's not going to make a difference in the way the computer runs until you have A LOT of stuff open. It takes me 2 VM's, a web server, a couple Ruby processes (Passenger), buncha console windows, iTunes, and 2 web browsers with a ton of tabs open and 2 text editors.

5. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Rip a movie in Handbrake and it pages out like crazy. I also keep a Windows VM up and running constantly. I will take the 8gb thanks. For $37 I cannot go wrong!

6. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

I think you do need 8GB of memory. During a normal day of using my MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM, my activity monitor shows about 3GB of actual free memory, and this is with most of my most frequently used applications still closed. Page outs from today: 436MB. Especially on such a powerful machine as the MBP, I'd say 8GB of RAM is absolutely necessary.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

exactly i was paging out like double my page ins on 4GB just by using handbrake while do other small things

8. BenFL thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Plamarine, I will do that.
    Blue room, I got the hard drive for a awesome price so I went with it.
    Robvas, Thanks for the input, and I'm curious as to why you think I need the 8gb of ram, I didnt say what I was using the device for. I got both, shipped for less than the cost of one good night out.

9. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Just installed the 8gb (increasing from the stock 4gb). Geekbench actually about the same at 3553 (up from 3546). Will notice the difference when i load iPhoto which has several thousand photos and Garageband.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

What review could you possibly give on the RAM other than it works? :)

11. BenFL thread starter macrumors member

There is almost a daily post about someone wanting to know if its worth it for using such and such a program and any differences blah blah blah.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Oh. I thought you were going to review the "Crucial" brand vs. something else and was wondering exactly how you were going to benchmark the differences.

As far as just reviewing the performance merits of 8gb vs 4gb though... I think most will agree that a $40 RAM upgrade is kind of a no-brainer these days. :)

13. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

+1

14. BenFL thread starter macrumors member

Got both installed finally, I am still getting all my stuff copied back over. All I can say this far is this machine is much snappier than it was with the stock 4gb and 5400rpm drive.